September 3, 1986|
Riverside, California, United States
|Other names||The Monsoon|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||180 lb (82 kg; 12 st 12 lb)|
|Reach||72 in (183 cm)|
|Style||Boxing, Kung Fu|
|Fighting out of||Riverside, California, United States|
|Team||Millennia MMA Gym|
|Rank||Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Lorenz Larkin (born September 3, 1986) is an American professional mixed martial artist currently competing in the Welterweight division of Bellator MMA. A professional competitor since 2009, Larkin formerly competed for Strikeforce and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).
Larkin was born and raised in Riverside, California as one of nine siblings. Larkin began training in boxing at a young age and also played football, but soon gave it up because he did not excel at it or other team sports. He attended Riverside Polytechnic High School. Afterwards, he continued boxing but was not able to compete as much as he would like to, due to his father's objections. Larkin also felt that he was too short to be a professional boxer in the heavyweight division, so he took up Kickboxing and Brazilian jiu-jitsu which led him to mixed martial arts. Prior to his career in mixed martial arts, Larkin also trained in Kung Fu. In an interview, Larkin stated he enjoyed the martial arts movies that were ever so popular around the time he was growing up and wanted to be a Kung Fu fighter.
Mixed martial arts career
Larkin holds records of 5-0 and 10-0 in amateur boxing and amateur mixed martial arts, respectively, with one of those wins coming against Heavyweight prospect Walt Harris. Making his professional MMA debut in August 2009, he compiled an undefeated record of 12-0.
Larkin made his debut in the Strikeforce promotion on April 1, 2011 against kickboxer Scott Lighty at Strikeforce Challengers: Wilcox vs. Damm, replacing Satoshi Ishii on a week's notice. Larkin won the fight via technical knockout in the second round and earned praise for his impressive performance against a veteran fighter, while being largely unheard of himself.
Larkin returned to the promotion in June 2011. He faced Gian Villante and won the fight via unanimous decision. Villante controlled the first round from top position but Larkin turned it around in the second round by keeping the fight on the feet and landing many strong kicks to the legs of his opponent. Larkin kept this up in the third round while also scoring an unexpected takedown in the last ten seconds.
Larkin was originally scheduled to headline the next challengers event against Virgil Zwicker but Zwicker pulled out due to an injury. Larkin instead faced Nick Rossborough and won the fight via unanimous decision.
Larkin next faced Muhammed Lawal at Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine. He lost the fight via KO in the second round, the first loss of his professional career. However, the result was overturned and changed to a No Contest after Lawal tested positive for steroids (Drostanolone).
For his next fight, Larkin dropped down to Middleweight division. He faced heavy-handed future UFC welterweight champion Robbie Lawler on July 14, 2012, at Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy. He won the fight via unanimous decision.
Larkin was to challenge Luke Rockhold for the championship on November 3, 2012 at Strikeforce: Cormier vs. Mir. The event was to be held at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, but was cancelled in October 2012. The fight was rescheduled and set to take place on January 12, 2013. However, Rockhold once again pulled out of the fight due to injury. Larkin was then scheduled to face Ronaldo Souza, but the fight never materialized.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
In January 2013, the Strikeforce organization was closed by its parent company Zuffa. A list of fighters scheduled to be brought over to the Ultimate Fighting Championship was released in mid-January and Larkin was one of the fighters listed.
On February 9, 2013, the UFC announced that Larkin would make his debut against Francis Carmont at UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Melendez in San Jose, California. He lost the fight due to a controversial unanimous decision with many major MMA media scoring the fight as a win for Larkin.
Larkin was expected to face Derek Brunson at UFC 176. However, after UFC 176 was cancelled, Larkin/Brunson was rescheduled and eventually took place on August 30, 2014 at UFC 177. Larkin lost the fight by unanimous decision.
For his next fight, Larkin moved down to the welterweight division. He faced John Howard on January 18, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 59. Larkin won the fight via TKO in the first round. The performance also earned Larkin his first Performance of the Night bonus award.
In March 2017, Larkin announced he had signed a multi-fight deal with Bellator MMA.
In his second fight for the promotion, Larkin faced British striker Paul Daley on September 23, 2017 at Bellator 183. Despite a good first round where he stunned Daley multiple times, He went on to lose the fight via knockout in the second round.
Championships and accomplishments
- Mez Sports MMA
- MSMMA Light Heavyweight Championship (One time)
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|27 matches||19 wins||7 losses|
|Win||19–7 (1)||Fernando Gonzalez||Decision (unanimous)||Bellator 193||January 26, 2018||3||5:00||Temecula, California, United States||Catchweight (180 lbs) bout.|
|Loss||18–7 (1)||Paul Daley||KO (punches)||Bellator 183||September 24, 2017||2||2:40||San Jose, California, United States|
|Loss||18–6 (1)||Douglas Lima||Decision (unanimous)||Bellator NYC||June 24, 2017||5||5:00||New York City, New York, United States||For the Bellator Welterweight World Championship.|
|Win||18–5 (1)||Neil Magny||TKO (elbows)||UFC 202||August 20, 2016||1||4:08||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||17–5 (1)||Jorge Masvidal||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Almeida vs. Garbrandt||May 29, 2016||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||16–5 (1)||Albert Tumenov||Decision (split)||UFC 195||January 2, 2016||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||16–4 (1)||Santiago Ponzinibbio||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Romero||June 27, 2015||2||3:07||Hollywood, Florida, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||15–4 (1)||John Howard||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Siver||January 18, 2015||1||2:17||Boston, Massachusetts, United States||Welterweight debut; Performance of the Night.|
|Loss||14–4 (1)||Derek Brunson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 177||August 30, 2014||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Loss||14–3 (1)||Costas Philippou||KO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Brown vs. Silva||May 10, 2014||1||3:47||Cincinnati, Ohio, United States|
|Loss||14–2 (1)||Brad Tavares||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Rockhold vs. Philippou||January 15, 2014||3||5:00||Duluth, Georgia, United States|
|Win||14–1 (1)||Chris Camozzi||Decision (unanimous)||UFC: Fight for the Troops 3||November 6, 2013||3||5:00||Fort Campbell, Kentucky, United States|
|Loss||13–1 (1)||Francis Carmont||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Melendez||April 20, 2013||3||5:00||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||13–0 (1)||Robbie Lawler||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy||July 14, 2012||3||5:00||Portland, Oregon, United States||Middleweight debut.|
|NC||12–0 (1)||Muhammed Lawal||NC (overturned)||Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine||January 7, 2012||2||1:32||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Originally a KO (punches) win for Lawal; overturned after he tested positive for drostanolone.|
|Win||12–0||Nick Rossborough||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce Challengers: Larkin vs. Rossborough||September 23, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||11–0||Gian Villante||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce Challengers: Fodor vs. Terry||June 24, 2011||3||5:00||Kent, Washington, United States|
|Win||10–0||Scott Lighty||TKO (punches)||Strikeforce Challengers: Wilcox vs. Damm||April 1, 2011||2||3:15||Stockton, California, United States|
|Win||9–0||Mike Cook||TKO (punches)||MEZ Sports: Pandemonium 4||February 25, 2011||2||3:32||Riverside, California, United States||Non-title bout.|
|Win||8–0||Hector Carrillo||KO (head kick and punches)||MEZ Sports: Pandemonium 3||November 19, 2010||1||2:57||Los Angeles, California, United States||Won the MEZ Sports Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||7–0||Rick Slaton||KO (punches)||MEZ Sports: Pandemonium 2||September 11, 2010||1||1:06||Riverside, California, United States|
|Win||6–0||João Assis||KO (slam)||Respect in the Cage||July 24, 2010||1||1:43||Hollywood, California, United States||Light Heavyweight debut.|
|Win||5–0||Scott Carson||KO (punches)||MEZ Sports: Pandemonium at the Palladium||June 12, 2010||1||2:54||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Win||4–0||Rick Guillen||KO (punches)||Champion Promotions: Clash of the Gladiators 2||May 8, 2010||1||2:30||Palm Springs, California, United States|
|Win||3–0||Mychal Clark||Decision (split)||Respect in the Cage 4||April 17, 2010||3||5:00||Pomona, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Giovanni Sarran||Decision (unanimous)||Chaos in the Cage 6||February 27, 2010||3||5:00||Lancaster, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||Lateef Williams||KO (elbow)||Fist Series: SummerFist III||August 15, 2009||1||0:40||Irvine, California, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Machida vs. Romero". UFC.com. Retrieved June 28, 2015.
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Brown vs. Silva". UFC.com. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- "Yess siiiiirr". Instagram. January 26, 2014. Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- "New purple belts baby". Instagram. January 26, 2014. Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- Monsoon Season
- Avila, David (2014-01-13). "BOXING: Rise of Riverside's Larkin - Press Enterprise". Pe.com. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- Lorenz Larkin replaces Satoshi Ishii at Strikeforce Challengers 15 Archived 2011-11-03 at the Wayback Machine.
- Lorenz Larkin Shines At Strikeforce Challengers 15
- "Strikeforce Challengers 19 headliner Zwicker, prelim fighter Peoples forced out". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- "Strikeforce's 'King Mo' Lawal tests positive for anabolic steroid, fighter denies use". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-16. Retrieved 2012-01-17.
- "Healy-Hirota, Mein-Stinson, High-Moore Added to Strikeforce 'Rockhold vs. Kennedy' Card". sherdog.com. May 30, 2012.
- "Luke Rockhold Expected to Face Lorenz Larkin at Strikeforce on Nov 3". MMA Weekly. September 4, 2012.
- Stupp, Dann (2012-10-12). "Strikeforce cancels Nov. 3 event in Oklahoma City, plans January return". MMAjunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2012-11-09.
- "Luke Rockhold-Lorenz Larkin middleweight title fight targeted for Jan. 12 Strikeforce event". MMA Junkie. November 7, 2012.
- "Middleweight champ Luke Rockhold out of Jan. 12 Strikeforce event". MMA Junkie. November 25, 2012.
- "Strikeforce adds Jacare/Larkin and Healy/Masvidal to January card". The MMA Report. November 29, 2012.
- "UFC Reveals List of Strikeforce Fighters Making Jump to Octagon". sherdog.com. January 16, 2013.
- "Lorenz Larkin makes UFC debut vs. Francis Carmont at UFC on FOX 7 in San Jose". MMAjunkie.com. February 9, 2013.
- "UFC on Fox 7 Results & Live Play-by-Play". sherdog.com. April 20, 2013.
- "UFC on Fox 7 play by play and live results". mmajunkie.com. April 20, 2013.
- "UFC on FOX 7 Play-by-Play". Josh Gross, ESPN. April 20, 2013.
- "UFC on FOX 7 – Live Results". bloodyelbow.com. April 20, 2013.
- John Petit (August 23, 2013). "Chris Camozzi Meets Lorenz Larkin In Kentucky". fighters.com. Archived from the original on May 19, 2014. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- Staff (2014-03-02). "Lorenz Larkin vs. Constantinos Philippou slated for UFC Fight Night 40 in Cincinnati". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- Ken Pishna (2014-06-07). "Derek Brunson vs. Lorenz Larkin Added to UFC 176". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- Staff (2014-07-09). "Danny Castillo-Tony Ferguson, Derek Brunson-Lorenz Larkin moved to UFC 177". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-07-09.
- Staff (2014-11-03). "John Howard vs. Lorenz Larkin set for UFC Fight Night 59 in Boston". mmajunkie.net. Retrieved 2014-11-03.
- Staff (2015-01-19). "UFC Fight Night 59 bonuses: Of course Conor McGregor nabbed one of the $50K awards". mmajunkie.com.
- Marc Raimondi (2015-04-25). "Lorenz Larkin to meet Santiago Ponzinibbio at Ultimate Fighter Brazil 4 Finale". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-04-25.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-06-27). "UFC Fight Night 70 results: Lorenz Larkin batters Santiago Ponzinibbio for TKO". mmajunkie. Retrieved 2015-06-27.
- Tristen Critchfield (2015-06-27). "UFC Fight Night Bonuses: Romero, Larkin, Ponzinibbio, and Santos pocket $50K Awards". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-06-27.
- Staff (2015-10-22). "Lorenz Larkin vs. Albert Tumenov joins UFC 195 lineup". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-10-22.
- Brent Brookhouse (2016-01-02). "UFC 195 results: Albert Tumenov survives Lorenz Larkin's kicks to take close split call". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- Mike Bohn and Matt Erickson (2016-03-19). "UFC Fight Night 88 gets 8 new fights". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-05-29). "UFC Fight Night 88 results: Lorenz Larkin outstrikes Jorge Masvidal for split decision". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-05-29.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2016-07-13). "Lorenz Larkin steps in against Neil Magny at UFC 202". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-07-13.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-08-20). "UFC 202 results: Lorenz Larkin TKOs Neil Magny in lopsided beatdown". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-08-20.
- Steven Marrocco (June 24, 2017). "Bellator NYC results: Douglas Lima cruises past Lorenz Larkin to keep welterweight belt". mmajunkie.com.
- "Lorenz Larkin Wants To Try Boxing | Fightful News". www.fightful.com. Retrieved 2017-09-22.
- "Bellator 183 Medical Suspensions | Fightful MMA". www.fightful.com. Retrieved 2017-09-27.
- Staff (November 14, 2017). "Lorenz Larkin vs. Fernando Gonzalez catchweight fight headlines Bellator 193". mmajunkie.com.
- John Morgan (January 26, 2018). "Bellator 193 results: Lorenz Larkin picks up first Bellator win". mmajunkie.com.
- Mike Bohn (September 8, 2018). "Lorenz Larkin meets Erick Silva at Bellator 207 in October". mmajunkie.com.