|Minister for Family and Disability|
Assumed office |
1 June 2018
|Prime Minister||Giuseppe Conte|
|Preceded by||Paolo Gentiloni (Acting)|
|Vice President of the Chamber of Deputies|
29 March 2018 – 1 June 2018
|Member of the Chamber of Deputies|
Assumed office |
23 March 2018
|Member of the European Parliament|
20 July 2004 – 22 March 2018
10 April 1980|
|Political party||Lega Nord|
|Alma mater||University of Padua|
Lorenzo Fontana (born 10 April 1980) is an Italian politician, member of Lega Nord. He serves as Minister of Family and Disability in the government of Giuseppe Conte. He previously served as Vice-President of the Chamber of Deputies from 29 March to 1 June 2018. He is also the Deputy Federal Secretary of the Lega, under the leadership of Matteo Salvini.
In 2012, during his first term as MEP, he was the head of the League's group in the European Parliament. From 2009 to 2014, he was also vice-president of the Committee on Culture and Education. During the 8th legislature, he was also the supervisor of the cooperation deal between Bosnia-Herzegovina and Europol. Fontana was re-elected to the 2014 European election, becoming a member of the Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs (LIBE) and of the Delegation for Relations with Iraq (D–IQ).
On 26 February 2016, he was appointed by Matteo Salvini as Deputy Federal Secretary of the Northern League together with Giancarlo Giorgetti. On 8 July 2017 he became Deputy Mayor of Verona, with responsibility for housing policy, international relations, EU funds, demographic policy, smart city, technological innovation and relations with UNESCO.
Following the 2018 Italian general election, Fontana was elected to the Chamber of Deputies for the multi-member constituency of Veneto 2. He thus left the office of MEP, where he was replaced by Giancarlo Scottà. On March 29 2018, he was elected Vice-President of the Chamber of Deputies with 222 votes.
On 1 May 2018, Fontana was appointed Minister of Family and Disability in the government of Giuseppe Conte, a private law professor who was called to lead the coalition between the League and the Five Star Movement.
In August 2018, Fontana called for the repel of the Mancino Law an anti-fascist law saying the law was being used by “globalists” to promote “anti-Italian racism,” and should be abolished.
Fontana is widely considered a social conservative. He calls himself a "crusader" who fights against abortion, same-sex civil unions and stepchild adoption, which he considers as a "weakening of the family". He is also against "pro-LGBT" sexual education, stating that Vladimir Putin's Russia "is the reference for those who believe in a nationalist model of society". On 2 June 2018, the day after becoming minister, he added that "gay families do not exist".
He strongly opposes illegal immigration to Italy, claiming that it is, together with the "gay marriages and the so-called gender theory in schools", a serious threat that "aims to erase the Italian people along with their communities and traditions".
- "XVIII Legislatura - Deputati e Organi - Scheda deputato - FONTANA Lorenzo". www.camera.it (in Italian). Retrieved 2018-05-13.
- Ricerca un Eurodeputato
- "Cerca un deputato - Deputati - Parlamento Europeo". Retrieved 31 March 2017.
- Relazione sul progetto di decisione di esecuzione del Consiglio che approva la conclusione da parte dell'Ufficio europeo di polizia (Europol) dell'accordo sulla cooperazione operativa e strategica tra la Bosnia-Erzegovina ed Europol
- Comune di Verona – Composizione e deleghe
- Elezioni politiche 2018, tutti gli eletti in Veneto
- Bruxelles chiama Scottà «Si prepari a rientrare»
- Lorenzo Fontana ministro della Famiglia e disabilità: il leghista che combatte la "deriva nichilista" della società
- Chi è Fontana, il nuovo ministro della Famiglia e disabilità
- "la culla vuota della civiltà all'origine della crisi - Google Search". www.google.it. Retrieved 2018-05-13.
- Famiglia e diritti, il ministro Fontana: “Disincentivare gli aborti. Ma non toccherò la 194. Non è nel contratto”
- Fontana, il ministro per la Famiglia contro aborto e coppie gay
- Governo, il ministro Fontana: "Le famiglie gay non esistono"
- Lorenzo Fontana: "I gay vogliono dominarci e cancellare il nostro popolo
- Biografia | Lorenzo Fontana
- Here is Italy's new cabinet in full