Lorenzo Marsili (born 1984) is an author, political activist and social entrepreneur.
Life and activity
Marsili was born in Rome, Italy. At 21, after graduating in philosophy from the University of London, he established the Postanalytic Group in protest against the hegemony of analytical philosophy in the UK. Soon after he founded the quarterly cultural review Naked Punch together with contributors such as Noam Chomsky, Gayatry Spivak, Jacques Ranciere and others.
After spending time in China and obtaining a second degree from the School of Oriental and African Studies he launched Transnational Dialogues, an exchange program between Chinese and European artists and activists. In 2007, on the 50th anniversary of the Treaties of Rome, he established pan-European network European Alternatives, developing it into an international NGO with offices in London, Berlin, Paris and Rome. He established Transeuropa Festival and was the artistic director of the first four editions.
He writes for various European newspapers, including The Guardian, El Diario, El País, Al Jazeera, Neues Deutschland, Il manifesto, Il Fatto Quotidiano, Huffington Post, OpenDemocracy. He is a guest on Italian national TV Rai3, La7, on Al Jazeera and is host of TalkReal, a nomadic Europe-wide talk show.
Political thought on Europe
In his books "Il Terzo Spazio" (ISBN 978-8858128282) and "Citizens of Nowhere" (ISBN 978-1786993694) he responds directly to the crisis of the European Union and the rise of the nationalist right by proposing a third way between the maintaining the status quo and accepting the demise of the European project. Marsili has argued that "the nation-state is not the solution, but part of the problem", while strongly criticising the existing structures of the European Union. He has been defined "the Italian response to the euro-sceptics" and is an outspoken advocate of the need for pan-European political parties. In a booklet written together with Niccolo Milanese, he has argued for the need of a pan-European constituent process to draft new Treaties for the European Union.
- "the collective lounge". thecollectivelounge.blogspot.de. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- "AV ONLINE - [20 § Interviste] Intervista a Lorenzo Marsili (Naked Punch) (Valerio Cruciani)". www.amnesiavivace.it. ISSN 1722-2737. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- stránok, BSP Magnetica, s.r.o. - výroba webových. "e-artnow.org: Announcement detail view". www.e-artnow.org. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- "Homage to Belgrade: reflections on the 2015 Transeuropa festival". openDemocracy. 2015-10-16. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- "A Unified EU Policy on Pluralism? UK citizens set to join the debate". Media Policy Project. 2013-03-12. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- freespeechtv (2013-04-06), NCMR 2013: Lorenzo Marsili, retrieved 2016-11-30
- "Marsili: Remain to change is DiEM's message [Interview]". Political Critique. 2016-06-23. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- "Leading activists, artists, scholars and political figures take central role in DiEM25". openDemocracy. 2016-10-05. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- Marsili, Lorenzo (2017). Il Terzo Spazio - oltre establishment e populismo. Bari, Italy: Laterza. ISBN 978-8858128282.
- Marsili, Lorenzo; Niccolo, Milanese (2014). Towards a transnational democracy for Europe (PDF). EA.
- "A tennis court oath for Europe". openDemocracy. 2015-03-04. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- Pedersini, Marco (2013-11-22). "L'alternativa italiana agli anti euro - Panorama". Panorama (in Italian). Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- "After Brexit, nobody is speaking up for Europeans". The Independent. 2016-06-29. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- Marsili, Lorenzo (2011). Towards a Transnational Democracy for Europe (PDF). European Alternatives.