Pellegrini playing for Roma in 2017
|Full name||Lorenzo Pellegrini|
|Date of birth||19 June 1996|
|Place of birth||Rome, Italy|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 6 October 2018|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 10 October 2018
Lorenzo Pellegrini (born 19 June 1996) is an Italian professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for Serie A club Roma and the Italy national team. He is an academy graduate of Roma, having joined the club in 2007, and made his senior debut in 2015. He departed for Sassuolo later that year where he made over 50 appearances across all competitions before returning to Roma in July 2017.
Born in Rome, Pellegrini, who had suffered from arrhythmia as a youngster, joined the youth academy of local side Roma at the age of nine. Having previously represented the club in the UEFA Youth League, he was handed his senior debut at the age of 18 by manager Rudi Garcia on 22 March 2015, coming on as a second-half substitute for Salih Uçan in a 1–0 Serie A win over Cesena.
On 30 June 2015, Pellegrini signed for fellow Serie A side Sassuolo for a fee of €1.25 million. In terms of the transfer agreement, Roma retained a buy-back-clause which afforded the club the opportunity to re-purchase Pellegrini at a future stage. He made his debut for the club on 8 November 2015, starting in a 1–0 league win over Carpi, and scored his first goal the following month when he netted in a 3–0 win over Sampdoria. He ultimately made 20 appearances for the season, including one in the Coppa Italia, and scored three goals. During the 2016–17 season, Pellegrini became the youngest player to have a hand in 10 goals in a single Serie A campaign, having registered six goals and four assists by 10 April 2017. He made 34 appearances across all competitions for the campaign, scoring eight goals registering seven assists, before re-signing for Roma at the end of the season.
Return to Roma
On 30 June 2017, Roma exercised the buy back clause of €10 million, which was included in Pellegrini's transfer agreement with Sassuolo, to bring him back to Rome on a five-year deal. On the same day Roma youth product Federico Ricci joined Sassuolo outright, for €3 million fee. Pellegrini scored his first-ever goal for the club on 1 December 2017, netting Roma's third goal in a 3–1 league win over SPAL.
Pellegrini has represented Italy at various youth levels. He made his debut for the U19 side against Germany in March 2014. He then enjoyed a brief spell with the U20's in 2015 before making his U21 debut against France on 2 June the following year.
He made his first appearance for the senior side in an 8–0 victory over San Marino in an unofficial friendly match on 31 May 2017, coming on as a half time substitute for Daniele Baselli. His official debut followed on 11 June when he appeared in Italy's 5–0 home win over Liechtenstein in a 2018 World Cup qualifier.
Later that month, he was included in the Italy under-21 squad for the 2017 UEFA European Under-21 Championship by manager Luigi Di Biagio. On 19 June, he scored the nation's first goal at the tournament, netting from a bicycle kick in a 2–0 win over Denmark.
Style of play
Regarded as a promising young player, from a tactical standpoint, Pellegrini's natural role is that of a central midfielder, who can be deployed in any position in a three-man midfield, although he is also capable of playing as an attacking midfielder and as a defensive midfielder. A tall, physically strong, yet agile, dynamic, energetic, and hard-working midfielder, his main characteristics are his stamina, ball control, movement, flair, and ability to make attacking runs into the penalty area from behind, as well as his eye for goal, and his striking ability from distance with either foot, despite being naturally right-footed. A former central defender in his youth, he is also an effective ball-winner, which enables him to break down possession, while his vision and technical skills allow him subsequently to carry or distribute the ball and provide assists for his teammates. His wide range of skills thus enable him to contribute at both ends of the pitch, and make him effective in linking both the defensive and offensive aspects of the game in a box-to-box role.
- As of 6 October 2018.
- As of 10 October 2018
- Newman, Blair; Hodges-Ramon, Luca; Hall, Richard; Ficetola, Franco; Neale, Mark; Gates, Emmet (24 January 2017). "The 50 best young footballers in Italy". The Guardian. Retrieved 19 April 2017.
- Vitetta, Di Steffano (25 March 2015). "Spazio giovani – Lorenzo Pellegrini, il difensore del futuro". Calcio Web. Retrieved 19 April 2017.(in Italian)
- Troise, Ciro (11 April 2015). "G Factor: Lorenzo Pellegrini, l'anima della Roma europea di De Rossi". Gianluca DiMarzio. Retrieved 19 April 2017.(in Italian)
- "Lorenzo Pellegrini". UEFA. Retrieved 19 April 2017.
- "Operazioni Di Mercato Federico Viviani – Lorenzo Pellegrini" (PDF). A.S. Roma. 30 June 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2 July 2015. Retrieved 4 July 2015.(in Italian)
- Dawes, Dominic (27 March 2017). "Sassuolo Starlet Lorenzo Pellegrini Fans the Flames of Roma & Juve Links With Post-Match Comments". 90 Min.
- "The Golden Generation Of Players Roma Have Let Go". AS Roma (blog). 2 September 2016. Retrieved 19 April 2017.
- Melli, Andrea (8 November 2015). "Sassuolo-Carpi: l'undici ufficiale neroverde". Sassuolo Calcio. Retrieved 19 April 2017.(in Italian)
- "Sassuolo hit three first-half goals to stun Sampdoria". ESPN. 6 December 2015. Retrieved 20 April 2017.
- Campanale, Susan (10 April 2017). "Serie A Week 31: Did You Know?". Football Italia. Retrieved 20 April 2017.
- Daley, Terry (2 July 2017). "Roma's subtle moves for Lorenzo Pellegrini, Rick Karsdorp fill gaps". ESPN. Retrieved 5 July 2017.
- "Official: Roma buy Pellegrini". Football Italia. London: Tiro Media. 30 June 2017. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "OPERAZIONI DI MERCATO Lorenzo Pellegrini" (PDF) (Press release) (in Italian). A.S. Roma. 30 June 2017. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- "Calciomercato: Pellegrini alla Roma, Ricci al Sassuolo" (Press release) (in Italian). U.S. Sassuolo Calcio. 30 June 2017. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "Relazione Finanziaria Annuale per l'esercizio chiuso al 30-6-2017" (PDF) (in Italian). A.S. Roma. 5 October 2017. p. 110. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- "Juventus close gap at the top as Gonzalo Higuaín returns to haunt Napoli". The Guardian. 1 December 2017. Retrieved 5 December 2017.
- "Italy 8-0 San Marino". ESPN. 31 May 2017. Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- Stefano Silvestri (11 June 2017). "Le pagelle di Italia-Liechtenstein 5-0: Insigne imprendibile, conferma Spinazzola" (in Italian). Eurosport.com. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- "U21: Italy squad for Euros named". Football Italia. 6 June 2017. Retrieved 16 June 2017.
- Rathborn, Jack (18 June 2017). "Lorenzo Pellegrini stunner lifts Italy past Denmark as Serge Gnabry leads Germany to win over Czech Republic". Mirror. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- Alessandro Aliberti (20 May 2015). "Roma, ecco Pellegrini. L'ultimo gioiello del vivaio" (in Italian). Il Corriere dello Sport. Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- "Ecco chi è Lorenzo Pellegrini, nuovo acquisto del Sassuolo" (in Italian). www.sassuolocalcio24.it. 2 July 2015. Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- Andrea Pugliese (29 September 2018). "Roma-Lazio 3-1: Di Francesco, 3 gol contro la crisi" (in Italian). La Gazzetta dello Sport. Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- Luca Guerra (1 July 2017). "Serie A, la Roma riabbraccia Lorenzo Pellegrini: "Sono di nuovo a casa"" (in Italian). Fox Sports. Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- "Roma, Pellegrini svela i suoi segreti: «La cicoria e il numero 37»" (in Italian). Il Corriere dello Sport. 7 September 2017. Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- Blair Newman; Mark Neale; Emmet Gates; Franco Ficetola; Richard Hall; Luca Hodges-Ramon (24 January 2017). "The 50 best young footballers in Italy". The Guardian. Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- James Dudko (26 August 2018). "Manchester United Transfer News: Lorenzo Pellegrini January Bid Rumoured". bleacherreport.com. Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- Matt Stanger (25 April 2018). "Scouting Spotlight: Lorenzo Pellegrini, Mauricio Lemos, Allan Saint-Maximin". ESPN FC. Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- Rob Blanchette (30 August 2018). "Roma Reportedly Offer Lorenzo Pellegrini Pay Rise, Manchester United Interested". bleacherreport.com. Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- "Lorenzo Pellegrini". Soccerway. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- "Pellegrini, Lorenzo" (in Italian). FIGC. Retrieved 11 June 2017.