|Born||15 March 1990|
Lorenzo Viotti (born 15 March 1990) is a Swiss classical conductor, and the chief conductor of the Gulbenkian Orchestra in Lisbon. He has conducted at major European opera houses, and received international awards.
Born in Lausanne as the son of the conductor Marcello Viotti, Viotti studied piano, voice and percussion in Lyon. In Vienna, he attended the conducting class of Georg Mark, and played as a percussionist with several orchestras including the Vienna Philharmonic. He continued studies of conducting at the Hochschule für Musik Franz Liszt in Weimar with Nicolás Pasquet, completing in 2015.
He conducted operas, including Offenbach's La belle Hélène at the Théâtre du Châtelet in Paris, Rossini's La cambiale di matrimonio at La Fenice in Venice, Bizet's Carmen at the Stadttheater Klagenfurt, and Verdi's Rigoletto at both the Staatsoper Stuttgart and the Semperoper in Dresden. In 2017, he conducted Donizettis Viva la Mamma at the Opéra de Lyon. He has conducted Massenet's Werther at three opera houses, at the Frankfurt Opera, Stadttheater Klagenfurt, and the Zurich Opera. A reviewer of the Klagenfurt production noted that he inspired the orchestra to a sensitive reading of the delicate lyrical score. A reviewer of the Frankfurt production observed that he silently sang with the singers and filled every moment with its emotion.
In 2012, Viotti was recipient of the first prize at the Cadaqués Orchestra International Conducting Competition. In 2015, he won the Nestlé and Salzburg Festival Young Conductors Awards. He won the conducting competition of the MDR Sinfonieorchester in 2016. He was chosen "Newcomer of the Year" at the International Opera Award 2017.
- "Lorenzo Viotti wins the Nestlé and Salzburg Festival Young Conductors Awards". Gramophone. 10 August 2015. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "Lorenzo Viotti". Salzburg Festival. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "Viotti wird Chefdirigent des Gulbenkian-Orchesters". Salzburg Easter Festival (in German). 16 October 2017. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- Cerha, Michael (16 December 2017). "Oper Frankfurt Massenets Werther: Liebender gibt sich die Kugel". Frankfurter Neue Presse (in German). Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- "Il Massenet di Lorenzo Viotti all'Oper Frankfurt". giornaledellamusica.it (in Italian). 16 October 2017. Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- Schauß, Dirk (18 December 2017). "Jules Massenet – Werther – Habemus Maestro!". Der neue Merker (in German). Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- "Lorenzo Viotti". Staatskapelle Berlin. 2017. Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- Cerha, Michael (22 November 2017). ""Werther": Blumenregen bis Lindensturz". Der Standard (in German). Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- "Lorenzo Viotti". Salzburg Easter Festival. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- Literature by and about Lorenzo Viotti in the German National Library catalogue
- Lorenzo Viotti Operabase
- Lorenzo Viotti discography at Discogs
- Lorenzo Viotti / Biografie hilbert.de
- Lorenzo Viotti on Théâtre du Châtelet
- Lorenzo Viotti über "Werther" und seine Zeit in Frankfurt Frankfurt Opera
- Opéra national de Lyon 2016–2017: Viva la Mamma de Gaetano Donizetti le 22 Juin 2017 (Dir.mus: Lorenzo Viotti; Mise en scène: Laurent Pelly) wanderer.blog.lemonde.fr
- Ravel : La Valse, Lorenzo Viotti on YouTube