Loreto Schools, Kolkata
The Loreto Schools are a group of all-girl Roman Catholic schools throughout the world associated with the Sisters of Loreto and run by Loreto Educational Society (Loreto sisters), which in India runs 17 schools and 2 colleges. They originated in Ireland in the 1850s so as to combat the growing Protestant influence in English education in the then British-controlled Ireland. Its chief purpose was to ensure Catholic education for Irish Catholic girls. It spread to India and Australia in the 1870s.
Loreto Schools in India
In Kolkata, India, Loreto schools are located at 7 Middleton Row (Loreto House - the largest of the group), Sealdah, Entally, Bowbazar Elliot Road and Dharmatala. There are Loreto schools in other cities across India including Darjeeling, Delhi, Lucknow (having two) and Asansol. The schools engage in charitable activities and on academic and all-round development of the students.
- Loreto Convent, Asansol
- Loreto Convent Doranda, Ranchi
- Loreto Convent Lucknow, established 1872
- * St. Agnes' Loreto Day School, Lucknow
- Loreto Convent, Tara Hall, Shimla, established 1892
- Loreto Convent, Darjeeling, established 1846
- Loreto Convent, Shillong
- Loreto Convent, Delhi
- "Institute of Social Work - Primary Education Project (WEST BENGAL)". Ashanet.org. Retrieved 11 May 2013.