This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Life and career
She was a Fulbright scholar at Johns Hopkins University's Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) in Washington, D.C. and a Rotary Scholar at the London School of Economics (LSE). She has a M.Phil. in Terrorism Studies from the University of East London, and a Master's in International Relations from SAIS.
Napoleoni's writing has appeared in Italian newspapers such as il Caffè, La Repubblica, and Il Fatto Quotidiano. She has worked as a foreign correspondent and columnist for the Spanish newspaper El Pais..
Her best-selling book Terror Incorporated was translated into 12 languages. Her novel Dossier Baghdad is a financial thriller set during the Persian Gulf War. She has also published a nonfiction book about Iraq, Insurgent Iraq: Al-Zarqawi and the New Generation, and several other books, including 2008's Rogue Economics. Rogue Economics, published by Seven Stories Press, was named a Publishers Weekly Best Book of 2008 and a Straight.com Favorite Book of 2008.
The Italian edition of her book Maonomics: Why Chinese Communists Make Better Capitalists Than We Do won the 2010 Book of the Year Prize from the Italian Association for Economics as well as the 2011 Singapore Critics Choice Best Nonfiction on Economics Prize.Maonomics was published in 10 countries and in Italy by RCS MediaGroup.
Napoleoni also writes articles for newspapers and journals including Le Monde, The Guardian, Il Venerdi di Repubblica, l'Espresso, l'Unità, and Wired Italia. In one such article, co-written with Claudia Segre and originally published in L'Osservatore Romano under the title Alternative Credit Mechanisms with a Basic Code of Ethics: From Islamic Proposals and Ideas to the West in Crisis, she recommends that the Vatican consider Sharia-compliant loans, and writes that "in Islamic finance ... there is no speculation." Source: ZDFinfo (German TV channel; YouTube)
- — (2005). Terror Incorporated: Tracing the Dollars Behind the Terror Networks (1st U.S. ed.). New York: Seven Stories Press. ISBN 9781583226735.
- — (2005). Insurgent Iraq: Al Zarqawi and the New Generation (1. North American ed.). New York: Seven Stories Press. ISBN 978-1583227053.
- — (2008). Rogue Economics: Capitalism's New Reality (A Seven Stories Press 1st ed.). New York: Seven Stories Press. ISBN 978-1583228241.
- — (2010). Terrorism and the Economy: How the War on Terror is Bankrupting the World (1st English language ed.). New York: Seven Stories Press. ISBN 978-1583228951.
- — (2011). 10 Years that Shook the World a Timeline of Events from 2001 (Seven stories press 1st ed.). New York: Seven Stories Press. ISBN 9781609804121.
- — (2011). Maonomics: Why Chinese Communists Make Better Capitalists Than We Do. Translated by Stephen Twilley; foreword by Greg Palast. New York: Seven Stories Press. ISBN 9781609804312.
- — (2011). The Contagion (Il Contagio). Italy,Germany,Spain: Rizzoli.
- — (2013). Democracy For Sale (Democrazia Vendesi). Italy,Spain.
- — (2014). The Islamist Phoenix: Islamic State and the Redrawing of the Middle East (1st U.S. ed.). New York: Seven Stories Press. ISBN 9781609806286.
- — (2016). Merchants of Men: How Jihadists and ISIS Turned Kidnapping and Refugee Trafficking into a Multi-Billion Dollar Business (1st U.S. ed.). Penguin USA. ISBN 9781609807085.
- — (2017). ISIS: The Terror Nation (1st U.S. ed.). New York: Seven Stories Press. ISBN 9781609807252.
- Napoleoni, Loretta (2005). Terror Incorporated. Seven Stories Press. ISBN 1583226737.
- Napoleoni, Loretta. "About Loretta". Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- Stock, Sarah (26 August 2010). "Terrorism Economics". University of Sydney. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Internet Archive Wayback Machine". 23 January 2013.[dead link]
- "Incontri con Loretta Napoleoni". Oxfam Italia. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- Napoleoni, Loretta (September 2014). "Isis. Forza e pericoli dello Stato del terrore". il Caffè.
- Napoleoni, Loretta (June 2012). "Napoleoni: "Se riparte Parma riparte l'Italia" L'economista al lavoro con Pizzarotti". La Repubblica.
- Napoleoni, Loretta (November 2014). "Crisi economica o di sovranità politica? Se la Commissione europea fa abuso di potere". Il Fatto Quotidiano (in Italian).
- Napoleoni, Loretta (August 2014). "La tercera guerra mundial". El Pais.
- Napoleoni, Loretta (October 2012). "Maonomics". Loretta Napoleoni. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- "Maonomics". Rizzoli. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- "May Europe's multicultural new generation succeed where we failed". Guardian.co.uk. January 3, 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "I meccanismi alternativi di credito basati su un codice etico: Dalla finanza islamica proposte e idee per l'Occidente in crisi". http://www.tlaxcala.es. March 4, 2009. Retrieved 2015-12-02. External link in
- "/404". www.publishersweekly.com. Archived from the original on 2016-10-13. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Loretta Napoleoni.|
This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Official website
- The Value of Human Rights,Constitutional Rights,and of the Rule of Law
- Democracy Now! Loretta Napoleoni interview (03/2008)
- Democracy Now! Loretta Napoleoni interview (11/2005)
- Audio: Loretta Napoleoni in conversation on the BBC World Service discussion show The Forum
- The intricate economics of terrorism TED (conference)
- Matter of Fact: The Singapore Summit Matter of Fact with Stan Grant
- Goodman, Amy. "Italian Writer Loretta Napoleoni on the Amman Triple Bombing, How the U.S. Helped Create Zarqawi and the Terror Financing Network - Interview". Democracynow.org. Archived from the original on 2007-11-15. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "The Third International Symposium on Global Drug Policy: Paris 2004 - Guest Speaker". The Senlis Council. Senliscouncil.net. Archived from the original on 2008-11-20. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Universal Forum of Cultures Speaker Search - Guest Speaker". Forum Barcelona 2004. Archived from the original on 2007-07-16. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- Buchanan, Michael. "London bombs cost just hundreds BBC online news article - Interview". News.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- Cowell, Alan. "OFF THE SHELF; Terrorism's Cost in a Global Economy - Review". Newyorktimes.com. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Special Report Security and Terrorism Rapid rise of the economy of terror". Guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Dateline, Loretta Napoleoni Interview". News.sbs.com.au. Retrieved 2007-11-15.[permanent dead link]
- "Four Corners, Loretta Napoleoni Interview". Abc.net.au. Retrieved 2007-11-15.