December 9, 1969 |
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
|Residence||Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Other names||The Queen of QVC|
|Alma mater||Loyola University Chicago (B.A., Communications) |
|Occupation||Inventor, entrepreneur, television personality, author, investor|
|Net worth||US$50 Million|
Lori Greiner (born December 9, 1969) is an American inventor, entrepreneur, and television personality. She is best known as a cast member of the reality TV show Shark Tank and has been called "The Queen of QVC". She has also appeared on its spin-off, Beyond the Tank. Since 1998, she has had a program on QVC called Clever & Unique Creations Show. She is also president and founder of the Chicago company For Your Ease Only, Inc., which she established in 1996 and which does product development and marketing. She has helped launch more than 400 products and holds 120 U.S. and foreign patents.
Greiner grew up on the Near North Side, Chicago, the second daughter of a real estate developer father and a psychologist mother. Her parents divorced when she was nine years old. She majored in communications, focusing on journalism, television, and film at Loyola University Chicago, and worked for the Chicago Tribune while in college. She was briefly a playwright and also sold her own jewelry on the side.
Greiner created an intricate box to organize earrings which she later patented. Using borrowed money, she created a sample product which was picked up by J.C. Penney before the holiday season. Eighteen months later the product had reportedly "made her rich."
In 2012, Greiner joined the US TV series Shark Tank and has been called "the warm-blooded shark". In 2014, her investment in Scrub Daddy, a company which produces a texture changing household sponge (the material is stiff in cold water but soft when warm), was noted as a great success. On July 30, 2014, she sold more than 2 million sponges on QVC (in one day alone).
As of April 30, 2016, Scrub Daddy still reigns as “the biggest success story in Shark Tank history” with sales over $75 million and a growing product line sold in a myriad of stores.
Other investments by Lori Greiner in the top 18 Shark Tank deals, as of April 30, 2016, include Squatty Potty, Readerest, Paint Brush Cover, Hold Your Haunches, Drop Stop, FiberFix, Simply Fit Board, and Screenmend.
In 2011, Greiner spoke at the first United States Patent and Trademark Office Women's Entrepreneurship Symposium. In March 2014, she published the book Invent it, Sell it, Bank it! – Make Your Million Dollar Idea into a Reality, which reached #3 on the Wall Street Journal's bestseller list.
- Greiner, Lori. Invent It, Sell It, Bank It!: Make Your Million-Dollar Idea into a Reality, New York : Ballantine Books, 2014. ISBN 978-0-8041-7643-9.
- Joy Mangano, HSN inventor
- "Lori Greiner of 'Shark Tank': 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know", heavy.com, April 18, 2014.
- Bertagnoli Lisa, "Neat trick: patenting her way to wealth", Crain's Chicago Business, September 26, 2009.
- "Lori Greiner How Rich is she Actually". Gazette Review. December 13, 2016.
- "Lori Greiner, Shark Tank Star And Queen Of QVC, On A Great Asset: A Partner In Her Spouse". Forbes. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- Kassar, Ami. "The Queen of QVC Talks About the Risks of Dealing With Sharks", New York Times, October 12, 2012.
- Robehmed, Natalie. "5 Lessons For Female Entrepreneurs From Shark Tank's Lori Greiner". Forbes. July 24, 2012.
- Collins, Karyn D., "Lori Greiner marks a tidy 10 years on QVC", The Philadelphia Inquirer, April 2, 2010.
- Weisman, Aly. "A Grueling 22-Hour Workday In The Life Of A QVC Host & 'Shark Tank' Judge". Business Insider, April 23, 2012.
- Williams, David K. "Lori Greiner, Shark Tank Star And Queen Of QVC, On A Great Asset: A Partner In Her Spouse". Forbes. September 22, 2012.
- Walker, Jodi. "Where To Buy 'Shark Tank's Scrub Daddy So You Can Help It Remain the Series' Most Successful Product", Bustle.com, December 12, 2014.
- Morabito, Andrea. "Who profits the most from 'Shark Tank' success?", New York Post. May 15, 2014.
- Bilello, Michael. "Scrub Daddy Launches New Lines with Over 10 Million Units Sold through QVC, Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond, Giant, Kroger, Ace Hardware, Wal-Mart, SuperValu and Others", marketwatch.com, November 4, 2014.
- Feloni, Richard. "The 15 biggest 'Shark Tank' success stories of all time", BusinessInsider.com, Dec. 15, 2015.
- Van Allen, Fox. "The 18 best Shark Tank success stories", ZDNet.com, April 30, 2016.
- "Lori Greiner Net Worth". Celebritynetworth.com; accessed December 5, 2015.
- Cassell, Warren Jr. "3 Takeaways From Lori Greiner's Invent It, Sell It, Bank It.", entrepreneur.com, December 15, 2014.