Loris, South Carolina
|Loris, South Carolina|
Location of Loris in
|• Mayor||Henry L. Nichols|
|• Total||3.1 sq mi (8.1 km2)|
|• Land||3.1 sq mi (8.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||98 ft (30 m)|
|• Density||668/sq mi (258.1/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1246470|
|Website||City of Loris (official website)|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.1 square miles (8.0 km2), of which, 3.1 square miles (8.0 km2) of it is land and 0.32% is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,396 people, 819 households, and 546 families residing in the city which indicated a +15.2 growth. The population density was 668.2 people per square mile (258.1/km²). There were 922 housing units at an average density of 296.3 per square mile (114.5/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 52.8% White, 39.4% African American, 0.08% Native American, 1.2% Asian, 0.03% from other races, and 1.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.4% of the population.
There were 967 households out of which 25.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.7% were married couples living together, 21.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.3% were non-families. 29.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 3.01.
In the city, the population was spread out with 22.5% under the age of 18, 9.7% from 18 to 24, 24.7% from 25 to 44, 24.4% from 45 to 64, and 18.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 82.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 74.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $26,250, and the median income for a family was $33,036. Males had a median income of $25,750 versus $17,180 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,779. About 22.7% of families and 28.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 44.7% of those under age 18 and 20.7% of those age 65 or over.
- The Coast RTA  - Bus system operating seven days a week, 364 days a year. 15 routes throughout the Horry County/Grand Strand area, including Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, Surfside Beach, Conway, Loris, and Aynor.
As of May 2008, Coast has not served Loris.
- Robert H. Brooks, founder of Hooters in the mid 1980s and the Naturally Fresh Foods in Atlanta, Georgia in 1966. Born in Loris on September 13, 1937, Died Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, July 15, 2006.
The annual Loris Bog-off is held on the third weekend in October, in the downtown Loris area. Chicken bog, is a dish of chicken, rice, sausage and spices; that originated in the Pee Dee area of South Carolina. The Loris Bog-off features carnival-type rides, concessions, regional performers, and petting zoo animals. Local schools also participate in performances and many other contests such as duck calling are held.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- The Coast RTA
- Chicken Bog