Moller in 1984
|Born||1 June 1955|
Putaruru, New Zealand
|Coached by||John Davies|
Lorraine Mary Moller MBE (born 1 June 1955) is a former athlete from New Zealand, who competed in track athletics and later specialised in the marathon. Moller's international career lasted over 20 years and included winning a silver medal in the marathon at the 1986 Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh and a bronze medal in the marathon at the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona at the age of 37. A four-time Olympian, she also completed the marathon at the 1984, 1988 and 1996 games. Her other marathon victories included the 1984 Boston Marathon and being a three-time winner (1986,87,89) of the Osaka International Ladies Marathon.
Moller's first international competition was the 1974 British Commonwealth Games at Christchurch, where she finished fifth in the 800 m. Her time of 2:03.63 was her lifetime best and is still the fastest ever by a New Zealand junior (under 20) woman.
Although Moller ran her first marathon in 1979, there were no sanctioned marathons for females at an international athletics competition until 1984. Moller was instead selected for both the 1500 m and 3000 m at the 1982 Commonwealth Games in Brisbane, winning bronze medals for both events.
Moller ran her first marathon on 23 June 1979, winning Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, Minnesota in 2:37:37. The time was the fastest ever by a New Zealander and the sixth-fastest ever run by a woman. She then won her next 7 marathons.
All of Moller's appearances at the Olympic Games were in the marathon. Her full records are:
- Moller, Lorraine. On the Wings of Mercury: The Lorraine Moller Story. 2007. Longacre Press. ISBN 978-1-877361-99-9.
- TheFinalSprint.com's Podcast Interview: "LORRAINE MOLLER: Female running pioneer and Lydiard protégé: "Part 1" and "Part 2"[permanent dead link]
- Interview at flotrack
- Profile at the official New Zealand Olympic Committee website
- STEVE HOAG, Running Minnesota blog, 28 January 2007, retrieved 20 April 2010
- Athletics New Zealand Records: Best Performances
- London Gazette (supplement), No. 53154, 30 December 1992. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- Heidenstrom, P. (1992) Athletes of the Century. Wellington: GP Publications.
- Matson, Barbara (April 16, 2009). "Twists in the road". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2009-04-17.
- Longacre Press Archived 14 October 2008 at the Wayback Machine