Los Angeles Airways
|Hubs||Westchester, Los Angeles, California|
|Destinations||Disneyland, Newporter Resort, Newport Beach, California, Los Angeles area airports|
|Headquarters||Los Angeles, California|
|Key people||Clarence Belinn (president)|
Los Angeles Airways (LAA) was a helicopter airline based in Westchester, Los Angeles, California. Los Angeles Airways offered services to area airports, as well as Disneyland from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and the heliport at the Newporter Resort, Newport Beach, California, now the Hyatt Regency. LAA had several firsts, including the first regularly scheduled helicopter mail service on October 1, 1947. Service to Ontario and San Bernardino was initiated on December 17, 1953.
In April 1957 they scheduled 17 weekday departures from LAX to 11 heliports from North Hollywood to San Bernardino to Santa Ana to Long Beach; they didn't fly to downtown Los Angeles. The OAG doesn't say what helicopter, but the drawing shows an S-55.
Passengers boarded, in thousands, scheduled flights only: 30 in 1957, 39 in 1960, 396 in 1967, and 62 in 1970.
- On May 22, 1968, Los Angeles Airways Flight 841, operated by a Sikorsky S-61L, crashed in Paramount, California resulting in the loss of 23 lives.
- On August 14, 1968, another Sikorsky S-61L, operating Los Angeles Airways Flight 417, crashed in Compton, California resulting in the loss of 21 lives.
- "World Airline Directory." Flight International. April 10, 1969. 581.
- Freeman, Paul. "Disneyland Heliport, Anaheim, CA". Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields.
- Airmail and the Growth of the Airlines Archived 2012-10-07 at the Wayback Machine.
- Staff, "First Helicopter Express Lands At Ontario Field", San Bernardino Daily Sun, San Bernardino, California, Friday 18 December 1953, Volume LX, Number 94, page 19.
- Staff, "S.B. Terminal For 'Copter Air Express in U.S.", San Bernardino Daily Sun, San Bernardino, California, Friday 18 December 1953, Volume LX, Number 94, page 13.
- "The Self-Supporting Helicopter" Time Magazine December 26, 1960
- Ed Coates Collection
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Los Angeles Airways.|
- Los Angeles Airways on Airliners.net
- Disneyland Heliport
- Los Angeles Airways timetables
- 1958 timetable