Los Angeles Science Teachers Network
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Los Angeles Science Teachers Network is a professional development network for science education by science teachers for science teachers committed to creating the most engaging hands-on curriculum possible through inquiry-based learning and scientific literacy.
The first meeting was held in Lisa Ellen Niver's home in September 2009. In October 2013, the professional development network had its fifteenth session. Over seventy teachers and forty schools have been involved to date. In Westside Today, information about teaching, science and LASTN was presented. In the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Impatient Optimists article, "Teachers Need A Village," the importance of teachers needing support from groups like LASTN is explored. "Why So Many Of America's Teachers Are Leaving The Profession?" cites Los Angeles Science Teachers Network as an example to teachers everywhere to find support and stay involved.
Several teachers formed the core group and served as advisors to Niver over the first three years: Susan Bagdasarian, Sasha Moore, Joseph Rose and Judy Weiskopf. Niver was frequently asked about teaching science, she has been quoted in Parenting.com, PBS.org, Green Living Arizona (in print), the Huffington Post and on National television. While Niver is on sabbatical with We Said Go Travel, Susan Bagdasarian has been the director of the network.
List of Participating Schools
- Adat Ari El
- Animo High School
- Berkeley Hall
- Brawerman School
- Brentwood School
- Buckley School
- Calvary Christian School
- Campbell Hall
- Center for Early Education
- Chadwick School
- Crossroads School
- Curtis School
- Destination Science
- Echo Horizon
- Hillel Hebrew
- John Thomas Dye School
- Laurence School
- Mirman School
- New Roads School
- Oakwood School
- Poly Tech
- PS 1
- Saint Marks
- Seven Arrows
- Sinai Akiba
- St James School
- St Matthews Parish School
- Stephen S Wise Temple Elementary School
- Temple Israel
- Turning Point School
- Valley Beth Shalom
- Viewpoint School
- Village School
- Westerly School
- Westside Neighborhood School
- Wildwood School
- Windward School
- Constructivism in science education
- National Science Education Standards
- National Science Teachers Association
- Science Education
- Science, Technology, Society and Environment Education
- School science technicians
- STEM fields
- Steve Spangler
- "Local Brentwood Science Teacher Does Good". Westside Today.
- "Pac6news". Education.
- "Teachers Need A Village". Gates Foundation Impatient Optimists.
- "Teachers Need A Village". Huffington Post Education. September 12, 2012.
- "Teachers Are Leaving The Profession". Huffington Post Education. November 5, 2013.
- "Everyday Ways to Sneak in Learning". Parenting.com.
- "Weather Science Lessons". PBS.org.
- "Science vs. Nutrition the GMO debate". Green Living Magazine Arizona.
- "Back to School 2012: Teachers Reveal Divorced Parents Biggest Mistakes". Huffington Post. August 14, 2012.
- "Career Day". National Television.
- "Success Story: Science Fair Projects with Real-World Impact". Science Buddies.
- "LASTN". LinkedIn.
- "LASTN company". LinkedIn.
- May 1, 2015: Wise School Los Angeles Featured events include: Organic Garden tour, Project Studio, Technology Innovation Lab and Science Lab tours, Solar Cookers demonstration. Discussion agenda: Earth Day event and Family STEM Night, Information about native gardens for monarch butterflies, Discussion about student environmental groups
- January 30, 2015 Park Century School
- October 17, 2014 The Center for Early Education
- May 16, 2014 The Willows Community School
- January 31, 2014 Oakwood School
- October 11, 2013 Village School
- May 2013: Curtis School: Green Energy
- March 2013: Wise School Los Angeles
- Oct 2012: Turning Point School with Discovery Education and Teach Plus Network
- April 27, 2012: Mirman School Talk on Integrated Education by Lisa Ellen Niver
- February 10, 2012: John Thomas Dye
- December 2, 2011: Village School: Challenge Based Learning presentation: Elaine Wrenn, Echo Horizon School
iPad apps and hands-on labs
- October 19–21, 2011: CSTA Pasadena
- March 10–13, 2011: NSTA in San Francisco
- February 11, 2011: Oakwood School—topic: Assessment
- November 2, 2010: Steve Spangler Hands on Science Secrets
- October 28, 2010: Valley Beth Shalom—Topic: Earth Science
- September 2010: Lisa's house-hands on labs & websites
- June 9, 2010: Pink Taco End of Year Celebration and Happy Hour
- April 12, 2010: Brentwood School—Topic: Hands on Labs & Invention Convection
- February 5, 2010: Village School—Topic: Science Fair
- November 13, 2009: Center for Early Education Topic: Hands On Labs
- September 2009: Lisa's house—Topic: Hands on Labs, Presentation from COSEE-West