Los Angeles Times Building
|Los Angeles Times Building|
|Location||202 West 1st Street
Los Angeles, California
|Owner||Tribune Real Estate Holdings|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Gordon B. Kaufmann|
The Los Angeles Times Building is an art deco building in Times Mirror Square at 1st and Spring Streets in Los Angeles, California. It is the headquarters of the Los Angeles Times and was designed by Gordon B. Kaufmann.
In 1935, when the first part of the building was opened, Harry Chandler, then the president and general manager of Times-Mirror Co., declared the building a "monument to the progress of our city and Southern California".
The building, despite its historic and architecturally significant appearance, appears not to be listed as a historic landmark. It does not appear in listings of Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments, California Historical Landmarks, or U.S. Registered Historic Landmarks in Los Angeles.
The LA Times complex is the site of two previous city halls and the current city hall is on an adjacent block:
- A building at South Spring Street and West 2nd Street was used as City Hall from 1884 to 1888
- A Romanesque Revival building on 226-238 South Broadway between 2nd Street and 3rd Street was built as City Hall in 1888, but demolished in 1928; it is now occupied by the LA Times Parking structure and another building, at 240 Broadway.
A new underground light rail station will open on the 2nd Street side of the building when construction of the Regional Connector Transit Corridor is completed. That factors into the consideration to restore the building as described in a master plan that includes the construction of new buildings on the site. Four other buildings were added to Times Mirror Square over the decades and the site is underused, with vacant space being used for movie shoots.
- Los Angeles City Hall
- International Savings & Exchange Bank Building
- Hall of Justice
- Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center
- Vincent, Roger (2015-01-08). "Los Angeles Times site to be redeveloped". Los Angeles Times.
- DiMassa, Cara Mia (2008-06-26). "Much has changed around the Los Angeles Times Building". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2008-06-26.
- Channick, Robert (2015-01-08). "Tribune Media to redevelop Times Mirror Square in Los Angeles". Chicago Tribune.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Los Angeles Times Building.|
|This article about a building or structure in Los Angeles is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|