Los Cabos International Airport
|Los Cabos International Airport
Aeropuerto Internacional de Los Cabos
|IATA: SJD – ICAO: MMSD|
|Operator||Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacífico|
|Serves||Cabo San Lucas|
|Location||San José del Cabo,
Los Cabos Municipality,
Baja California Sur state,
|Elevation AMSL||374 ft / 114 m|
|Website||San Jose del Cabo International Airport|
Source: Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacífico
The airport has three terminals with 4 concourses. Terminal 1 serves both domestic and international operations for various air carriers while Terminal 3 services Alaska Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Frontier Airlines and other seasonal international carriers. From September 2011 until January 2012, the airport temporarily gained nonstop service to Asia with flights to Shanghai, China.
The airport handled 3,130,986 passengers in 2014, and 3,523,010 in 2015. It has become the most important airport in the state of Baja California Sur. Because of a dramatic increase in the number of holiday resorts and due to the region's fast population growth, the infrastructure of the airport is now insufficient compared to the increasing demand, causing a lack of available positions for aircraft during peak-hours, as in many other airports in Mexico.
On September 15, 2014, Los Cabos International Airport was badly damaged by Hurricane Odile. Planes were knocked against structures due to the winds from Odile. Many people went to the airport, demanding flights out of Cabo San Lucas. The Mexican government began airlifting the first of thousands of stranded tourists, free of charge, to airports in Tijuana, Mazatlan, Guadalajara and Mexico City to catch connecting flights and, in the case of foreigners, receive consular assistance. As of September 20, all of the people stranded in Cabo San Lucas were back in their hometowns.
The architect of the 1997 new Los Cabos International Airport, its renovation, expansion and extended facilities, was Mexican architect and great-grandson of Queen Isabella II of Spain, Manuel De Santiago-de Borbón González Bravo. He was a member of ICOMOS (International Council on Monuments and Sites), and his lifetime architectural legacy to Mexico adds to 11,000,000 built square meters nationwide, including famous buildings and national sites, as well as important national restorations like the Mexican Houses of Congress Palace, Palacio Legislativo de San Lázaro.
Terminal 1 operates both domestic and international flights.
Terminal 2 has replaced terminal three and four as the sole international terminal. It has four jet bridges and six non jet bridge gates.
Airlines and destinations
|1||Distrito Federal (México), Mexico City||264,701||Aeroméxico, Aeroméxico Connect, Interjet, Magni, VivaAerobus, Volaris|
|2||Jalisco, Guadalajara||106,907||Interjet, VivaAerobus, Volaris|
|3||Nuevo León, Monterrey||38,789||1||VivaAerobus, Volaris|
|4||Baja California, Tijuana||33,928||1||Volaris|
|5||Sinaloa, Culiacán||31,539||1||VivaAerobus, Volaris|
|6||México (state), Toluca||26,463||1||Interjet|
|8||Chihuahua, Ciudad Juárez||726|
|1||United States, Los Angeles||198,607||Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, United Airlines|
|2||United States, Dallas||138,005||1||American Airlines, Spirit Airlines|
|3||United States, Phoenix–Sky Harbor||123,633||1||American Airlines, US Airways|
|4||United States, San Diego||113,495||Alaska Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Spirit Airlines|
|5||United States, San Francisco||110,574||Alaska Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America|
|6|| United States, Houston, Texas
* George Bush Intercontinental Airport
* William P. Hobby Airport
|100,188||Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, United Express|
|7||United States, Denver||72,319||Frontier Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines|
|8||United States, Orange County||60,678||Alaska Airlines, Southwest Airlines|
|9||Canada, Calgary||44,159||1||Air Canada, Air Transat, Sunwing Airlines, WestJet|
|10||United States, Chicago||43,075||1||American Airlines, United Airlines, Xtra Airways|
- The Trans-Peninsular Road has become a busy commercial and accommodation center which include the nearby establishments.
The airport has many restaurants and fast food outlets, among the best known are:
- Bar Corona
- Burger King
- Boston Hot Dogs
- Corner Bar
- Domino's Pizza
- Yogurlisios Frozen Yogurt
- Airport Parking:
- 1 hour: $28 pesos
- Maximum pay per day, rate until the fifth day: $305 pesos
- Maximum pay per day for the next days: $96 pesos
- 1 hour: $28 pesos
- "GAP announces terminal passenger traffic figures for the month of December 2015" (PDF). GAP.
- theguardian.com – Hurricane Odile: Mexico begins airlifts of tourists stranded in Los Cabos
- "Frontier Airlines Application" (PDF). Frontier Airlines. June 2016. Retrieved June 23, 2016.
- "Southwest Airlines Files Application To Offer Nonstop Service Between Los Angeles (LAX) And Three Mexico Beach Destinations". PR Newswire Association LLC. June 2016. Retrieved June 23, 2016.
- "Southwest intends to make Oakland an international gateway". USA Today. July 2016. Retrieved July 13, 2016.
- "Viva Aerobus - Book your flight: Guadalajara Terminal 1 to Los Cabos" (Web). Viva Aerobus. Retrieved October 27, 2016.
- "Chicago, IL Flight Schedule". Retrieved December 22, 2015.
- "Air Operational Statistics". Secretaría de Comunicaciones y Transportes. January 2016. Retrieved March 1, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Los Cabos International Airport.|