|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||6 (list of episodes)|
|Original release||June 14, 2019 –|
Los Espookys is an American comedy television series created by Julio Torres, Ana Fabrega, and Fred Armisen, who also star alongside Bernardo Velasco and Cassandra Ciangherotti. The series follows a group of friends trying to turn their love of horror into a successful business, where most of their jobs consist of fabricating horror film-like situations and trick people into thinking they are real.
Los Espookys "follows a group of friends who turn their love for horror into a peculiar business, providing horror to those who need it, in a dreamy Latin American country where the strange and eerie are just part of daily life."
Cast and characters
- Bernardo Velasco as Renaldo, a horror and gore enthusiast who assembles his friends to form Los Espookys. He is kind and optimistic, but naïve and incompetent with finances.
- Julio Torres as Andrés, Renaldo's best friend since childhood and the adopted heir to a chocolate empire. While trying to put out with his unapproachable parents and the future husband they chose for him, he is also haunted by a mysterious demon, and longs to unlock the secrets of his past.
- Cassandra Ciangherotti as Úrsula, a friend of Renaldo. She is smart, resourceful and more down-to-earth than the other members of Los Espookys; however, she struggles with her job as a dental hygienist due to the mean behavior of her boss.
- Ana Fabrega as Tati, Úrsula's dimwitted sister and Los Espookys' designated test dummy. She is constantly switching between strange jobs to try and make a living, and willing to put herself into any situation the other Espookys need her in.
- Fred Armisen as Tico, Renaldo's uncle and a trusted and dedicated employee of a valet parking company. He is very supportive of Renaldo's efforts and happy with his job, but struggles with his daughter's attitude problems and his own tendency to be too selfless.
|No.||Title ||Directed by ||Written by ||Original air date ||U.S. viewers|
|Fernando Frias||Fred Armisen & Ana Fabrega & Julio Torres||June 14, 2019||0.272|
|2||"El espanto de la herencia"|
"The Inheritance Scare"
|Fernando Frias||Julio Torres & Ana Fabrega||June 21, 2019||0.195|
|3||"El monstruo marino"|
"The Sea Monster"
|Fernando Frias||Julio Torres & Ana Fabrega||June 28, 2019||0.191|
|4||"El espejo maldito"|
"The Cursed Mirror"
|Fernando Frias||Julio Torres & Ana Fabrega||July 5, 2019||0.058|
|5||"El laboratorio alienígena"|
"The Alien Lab"
|Fernando Frias||Julio Torres & Ana Fabrega||July 12, 2019||0.134|
|6||"El sueño falso"|
"The Fake Dream"
|Fernando Frias||Ana Fabrega & Julio Torres||July 19, 2019||0.086|
On November 21, 2017, it was announced that HBO had given the production, then titled Mexico City: Only Good Things Happen, a pilot order. The episode was written by Fred Armisen, Ana Fabrega, and Julio Torres and set to be directed by Fernando Frias. The production staff of the potential series was set to include Armisen, Lorne Michaels, Andrew Singer as executive producers and Torres and Alice Mathias as co-executive producers. Production companies involved with the series are expected to include Broadway Video and Más Mejor.
On July 2, 2018, it was announced that HBO had given the production, now titled Los Espookys, a series order for a first season. It was additionally announced that Fabrega would serve as a co-executive producer and that Antigravico would join the list of production companies involved with the series.
The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reports a 100% approval rating with an average score of 8.71/10, based on 26 reviews. The website's critical consensus reads, "Igualmente hilarante y horripilante, Los Espookys is an espooky good time." Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, gave the series a score of 82 out of 100, based on reviews from 12 critics, indicating "universal acclaim."
- "About Los Espookys". HBO. May 9, 2020. Retrieved May 9, 2020.
- Pedersen, Erik (April 16, 2019). "'Los Espookys' Premiere Date: HBO Comedy From Fred Armisen & Lorne Michaels Set For Summer". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 16, 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie (July 24, 2019). "'Los Espookys' Renewed For Season 2 By HBO". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 24, 2019.
- "About Los Espookys". HBO. June 12, 2019. Retrieved June 12, 2019.
- "Comedy Series LOS ESPOOKYS Debuts June 14 on HBO". HBO. May 20, 2019. Retrieved May 20, 2019.
- Metcalf, Mitch (June 17, 2019). "Updated: ShowBuzzDaily's Top 150 Friday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 6.14.2019". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved June 17, 2019.
- Metcalf, Mitch (June 24, 2019). "Updated: ShowBuzzDaily's Top 150 Friday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 6.21.2019". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved June 24, 2019.
- Metcalf, Mitch (July 1, 2019). "Updated: ShowBuzzDaily's Top 150 Friday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 6.28.2019". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved July 1, 2019.
- Metcalf, Mitch (July 9, 2019). "Updated: ShowBuzzDaily's Top 150 Friday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 7.5.2019". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved July 9, 2019.
- Metcalf, Mitch (July 15, 2019). "Updated: ShowBuzzDaily's Top 150 Friday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 7.12.2019". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- Metcalf, Mitch (July 22, 2019). "Updated: ShowBuzzDaily's Top 150 Friday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 7.19.2019". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved July 23, 2019.
- Petski, Denise (November 21, 2017). "Fred Armisen Spanish-Language Comedy 'Mexico City: Only Good Things Happen' Gets Pilot Order At HBO". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 2, 2018.
- Barsanti, Sam (July 2, 2018). "Fred Armisen to star in a Spanish-language pilot for HBO". The A.V. Club. Retrieved July 2, 2018.
- Otterson, Joe (July 2, 2018). "HBO Orders Fred Armisen Spanish-Language Comedy to Series". Variety. Retrieved July 2, 2018.
- Sandberg, Bryn Elise (July 2, 2018). "HBO Orders Spanish-Language Comedy 'Los Espookys' From Fred Armisen and Lorne Michaels". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 2, 2018.
- "Los Espookys: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes (Fandango Media). Retrieved June 16, 2020.
- "Los Espookys: Season 1". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved October 30, 2019.