|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||6 (list of episodes)|
|Original release||June 14, 2019 –|
Los Espookys "follows a group of friends who turn their love for horror into a peculiar business, providing horror to those who need it, in a dreamy Latin American country where the strange and eerie are just part of daily life."
Cast and characters
- Bernardo Velasco as Renaldo: A horror and gore enthusiast, Renaldo assembles his friends to form Los Espookys. He’s noble, kind, naïve, incompetent with finances and always running out of cell phone minutes.
- Julio Torres as Andrés: Best friend to Renaldo and adopted heir to a chocolate empire, dark and mysterious Andrés longs to unlock the secrets to his past and avoid his beautiful boyfriend.
- Cassandra Ciangherotti as Úrsula: Úrsula is the Espookys’ brain and muscle. She can figure out how to make someone magically fall through a bed and into the same room they started in, as well as making sure the group gets paid for their spooks.
- Ana Fabrega as Tati: Úrsula’s dimwitted sister and Los Espookys’ designated test dummy, Tati is often seen juggling several odd jobs, such as breaking in other people’s shoes and counting people’s steps.
- Fred Armisen as Tico: A genius of car parking, Uncle Tico supports his nephew Renaldo's efforts to turn his love of horror into a business.
|No.||Title ||Directed by ||Written by ||Original air date ||U.S. viewers|
|Fernando Frias||Fred Armisen & Ana Fabrega & Julio Torres||June 14, 2019||0.272|
|2||"El espanto de la herencia"|
"The Inheritance Scare"
|Fernando Frias||Julio Torres & Ana Fabrega||June 21, 2019||0.195|
|3||"El monstruo marino"|
"The Sea Monster"
|Fernando Frias||Julio Torres & Ana Fabrega||June 28, 2019||0.191|
|4||"El espejo maldito"|
"The Cursed Mirror"
|Fernando Frias||Julio Torres & Ana Fabrega||July 5, 2019||0.058|
|5||"El laboratorio alienígena"|
"The Alien Lab"
|Fernando Frias||Julio Torres & Ana Fabrega||July 12, 2019||0.134|
|6||"El sueño falso"|
"The Fake Dream"
|Fernando Frias||Ana Fabrega & Julio Torres||July 19, 2019||TBD|
On November 21, 2017, it was announced that HBO had given the production, then titled Mexico City: Only Good Things Happen, a pilot order. The episode was written by Fred Armisen, Ana Fabrega, and Julio Torres and set to be directed by Fernando Frias. The production staff of the potential series was set to include Armisen, Lorne Michaels, Andrew Singer as executive producers and Torres and Alice Mathias as co-executive producers. Production companies involved with the series are expected to include Broadway Video and Más Mejor.
On July 2, 2018, it was announced that HBO had given the production, now titled Los Espookys, a series order for a first season. It was additionally announced that Fabrega would serve as a co-executive producer and that Antigravico would join the list of production companies involved with the series.
On April 16, 2019, it was announced that the series would premiere on June 14, 2019.
The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported a 100% approval rating with an average score of 8.71/10, based on 21 reviews. The website's critical consensus reads, "Igualmente hilarante y horripilante, Los Espookys is an espooky good time."
- Pedersen, Erik (April 16, 2019). "'Los Espookys' Premiere Date: HBO Comedy From Fred Armisen & Lorne Michaels Set For Summer". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 16, 2019.
- "About Los Espookys". HBO. June 12, 2019. Retrieved June 12, 2019.
- "Comedy Series LOS ESPOOKYS Debuts June 14 on HBO". HBO. May 20, 2019. Retrieved May 20, 2019.
- Metcalf, Mitch (June 17, 2019). "Updated: ShowBuzzDaily's Top 150 Friday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 6.14.2019". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved June 17, 2019.
- Metcalf, Mitch (June 24, 2019). "Updated: ShowBuzzDaily's Top 150 Friday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 6.21.2019". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved June 24, 2019.
- Metcalf, Mitch (July 1, 2019). "Updated: ShowBuzzDaily's Top 150 Friday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 6.28.2019". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved July 1, 2019.
- Metcalf, Mitch (July 9, 2019). "Updated: ShowBuzzDaily's Top 150 Friday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 7.5.2019". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved July 9, 2019.
- Metcalf, Mitch (July 15, 2019). "Updated: ShowBuzzDaily's Top 150 Friday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 7.12.2019". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- Petski, Denise (November 21, 2017). "Fred Armisen Spanish-Language Comedy 'Mexico City: Only Good Things Happen' Gets Pilot Order At HBO". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 2, 2018.
- Barsanti, Sam (July 2, 2018). "Fred Armisen to star in a Spanish-language pilot for HBO". The A.V. Club. Retrieved July 2, 2018.
- Otterson, Joe (July 2, 2018). "HBO Orders Fred Armisen Spanish-Language Comedy to Series". Variety. Retrieved July 2, 2018.
- Sandberg, Bryn Elise (July 2, 2018). "HBO Orders Spanish-Language Comedy 'Los Espookys' From Fred Armisen and Lorne Michaels". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 2, 2018.
- "Los Espookys: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes (Fandango Media). Retrieved July 15, 2019.