Los Ojos, New Mexico
|• Total||1.40 sq mi (3.63 km2)|
|• Land||1.39 sq mi (3.61 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.02 km2)|
|Elevation||7,346 ft (2,239 m)|
|• Density||69.68/sq mi (26.91/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-7 (Mountain (MST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-6 (MDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||923643|
Los Ojos is a census-designated place (CDP) in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, United States. Its population was 125 as of the 2010 census. Los Ojos has a post office with ZIP code 87551, which opened on February 7, 1877. The community is located near U.S. routes 64 and 84.
Historically, the community has also been known as Park View. Los Ojos was founded in 1860, and a nearby colony, Park View, was established in 1876. A post office was opened in Park View in 1877, but the colony and post office were soon abandoned. The post office was reopened in 1880 in Los Ojos, but the post office kept its original name, Park View. Los Ojos thus came to be referred to on maps as Park View, but in 1971, citizens petitioned to have the name officially changed back to Los Ojos, and the petition was granted in 1972.
Los Ojos is located at U.S. Census Bureau, the community has an area of 1.401 square miles (3.63 km2); 1.392 square miles (3.61 km2) of its area is land, and 0.009 square miles (0.023 km2) is water.. According to the
|U.S. Decennial Census|
- "ArcGIS REST Services Directory". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved October 12, 2022.
- "Census Population API". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Oct 12, 2022.
- "Los Ojos". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey, United States Department of the Interior.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Postmaster Finder - Post Offices by ZIP Code". United States Postal Service. Retrieved July 11, 2014.
- United States Postal Service (2012). "USPS - Look Up a ZIP Code". Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- Torrez, Robert J. "Los Ojos, NM," New Mexico Office of the State Historian, newmexicohistory.org, accessed February 2, 2016.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer Files: Places: New Mexico". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved June 2, 2017.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "2020 CENSUS - SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP: Rio Arriba County, NM" (PDF). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2022-07-13.
Media related to Los Ojos, New Mexico at Wikimedia Commons