Los Osos Oaks State Natural Reserve
|Los Osos Oaks State Natural Reserve|
|Location||San Luis Obispo County, California, United States|
|Nearest city||Los Osos, California|
|Area||85 acres (34 ha)|
|Governing body||California Department of Parks and Recreation|
Los Osos Oaks State Natural Reserve is a California State Park in western San Luis Obispo County, in the Central Coast of California region. It preserves centuries-old coast live oaks (Quercus agrifolia) growing atop relict sand dunes. It is located in the Los Osos Valley between San Luis Obispo and Baywood Park-Los Osos, just outside the town of Los Osos. The 85-acre (34 ha) park was established in 1972.
There are several prehistoric sites in the proximate vicinity of the Los Osos Oaks State Natural Reserve, in addition to archaeological recovery within the reserve itself. A significant-sized Chumash site, Los Osos Back Bay, has been partially excavated on a stabilized sand dune slightly to the north of the reserve dating to at least as early as 1200 CE.
Proposed for closure
The reserve was one of several state parks threatened with closure in 2008. After the 2009 California state special elections, in which voters turned down a package of propositions dealing with California budget crisis, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger proposed the temporary closure (for at least 2 years) of 220 parks. The closures were ultimately avoided by cutting hours and maintenance system-wide.
- California oak woodland
- Elfin Forest Natural Area — in Baywood-Los Osos.
- List of California state parks
- Protected areas of San Luis Obispo County, California
- "Protected Planet | Los Osos Oaks State". Protected Planet. Retrieved 2020-10-16.
- "Los Osos Oaks SNR". California State Parks. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- "California State Park System Statistical Report: Fiscal Year 2009/10" (PDF). California State Parks: 30. Retrieved 2012-06-02. Cite journal requires
- Hogan, C. Michael (2008-02-08). "Los Osos Back Bay". Megalithic Portal.
- Moore, Michael (2009-05-29). "Henry Coe on governor's list of parks to close". The Gilroy Dispatch. Gilroy, Calif. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- McGreevy, Patrick; Louis Sahagun (2009-09-26). "State parks to stay open, but with cuts in hours, staffing". Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles, Calif. Retrieved 2011-12-30.
- California State Parks: official Los Osos Oaks State Natural Reserve website
- Hikespeak Blog: Los Osos Oaks State Natural Reserve — images, info, map.
- Media related to Los Osos Oaks State Natural Reserve at Wikimedia Commons