Los Ricos También Lloran
|Los ricos también lloran|
|Written by||Inés Rodena
|Directed by||Rafael Banquells|
|Country of origin||Mexico|
|No. of episodes||100|
|Camera setup||Multi-camera setup|
|Running time||60 minutes (with commercials)|
|Original release||October 16, 1979– February 29, 1980|
Los ricos también lloran ("The rich also cry") is a popular telenovela produced in Mexico in 1979, starring Verónica Castro, Rogelio Guerra and Rocío Banquells. Castro also sang the theme Aprendí a Llorar ("I learned to cry"), a song written by Lolita de la Colina. The telenovela was produced by Chilean Valentín Pimstein and Carlos Romero, it was directed by Rafael Banquells. The story was written by Inés Rodena and adapted by Valeria Philips.
Mariana Villareal finds herself homeless after her father dies and her stepmother takes over their hacienda. She escapes to Mexico City and a priest asks Don Alberto Salvatierra (a millionaire) to care for the young girl. Don Alberto takes pride in educating the girl but his own son Luis Alberto (a womanizer) tries to seduce her but the father orders him to stay away from her. Esther, Luis Alberto's cousin, moves into the Salvatierra mansion with the hopes of marrying him. Luis Alberto finds Mariana's charm to be the reason for him to change and falls in love with her.
- Verónica Castro as Mariana Villareal
- Rogelio Guerra as Luis Alberto Salvatierra Izaguirre
- Rocío Banquells as Esther Izaguirre
- Christian Bach as Joanna Smith
- Rafael Banquells as Adrián
- Augusto Benedico as Don Alberto Salvatierra
- Guillermo Capetillo as Alberto Salvatierra Villareal "Beto"
- Ada Carrasco as Felipa
- Estela Chacón as Virginia enfermera
- Aurora Clavel as Mama Chole López
- Edith González as Marisabel Castañeda Smith
- Alicia Rodríguez as Doña Elena Izaguirre de Salvatierra
- Yolanda Mérida as Ramona
- Ricardo Cortés as Juan Manuel
- Marina Dorell as Sara González
- Arturo Lorca as Jaime
- Magda Haller as Doña Rosario
- Robertha as Roberta
- Columba Domínguez as María (#1)
- Marilú Elízaga as Doña Elena Izaguirre de Salvatierra
- Connie de la Mora as Patricia Medina
- Manuel Guízar as Dr. Francisco Campos
- Flor Procuna as Irma Ramos, viuda de Villareal
- Miguel Palmer as Diego Ávila (#1)
- Fernando Luján as Diego Ávila (#2)
- Carlos Fernández as Carlos Castañeda
- Edgar Wald
- Carlos Cámara as Fernando
- The theme songs is "Aprendí a Llorar" sung by (Verónica Castro)
- Los Ricos También Lloran at the Internet Movie Database
- Profile (Spanish) on the Univision site.
- Profile on the Russian serials site.
- Profile on Alma Latina.