Los ricos también lloran
|Los ricos también lloran|
|Created by||María Zarattini|
|Story by||Inés Rodena|
|Opening theme||"Aprendí a llorar" by Verónica Castro|
|Country of origin||Mexico|
|No. of episodes||248|
|Executive producer(s)||Valentín Pimstein|
|Producer(s)||José Alberto Castro|
|Original network||Canal de las Estrellas|
|Picture format||NTSC (480i)|
|Audio format||Stereophonic sound|
|Original release||October 16, 1979 –|
February 29, 1980
Los ricos también lloran ("The rich also cry") is a popular telenovela produced in Mexico in 1979, starring Verónica Castro, Rogelio Guerra and Rocío Banquells. Castro also sang the theme Aprendí a Llorar ("I learned to cry"), a song written by Lolita de la Colina. The telenovela was produced by Chilean Valentín Pimstein and Carlos Romero, it was directed by Rafael Banquells. The story was written by Inés Rodena and adapted by Valeria Philips.
Los Ricos También Lloran was aired in 1991-1992 in the Soviet Union and post-Soviet states. It was shown on one of the central TV channels and became the second ever non-Soviet TV series aired in the Soviet Union, after a re-edited condensed version of Escrava Isaura. It was watched virtually by the whole population and became for a long time a reference point, with multiple traces in Soviet and post-Soviet popular culture.
Mariana Villareal finds herself homeless after her father dies and her stepmother takes over their hacienda. She escapes to Mexico City and a priest asks Don Alberto Salvatierra (a millionaire) to care for the young girl. Don Alberto takes pride in educating the girl but his own son Luis Alberto (a womanizer) tries to seduce her; the father orders him to stay away from her. Esther, Luis Alberto's cousin, moves into the Salvatierra mansion with the hopes of marrying him. Luis Alberto finds Mariana's charm to be the reason for him to change and falls in love with her.
- Verónica Castro as Mariana Villareal
- Rogelio Guerra as Luis Alberto Salvatierra Izaguirre
- Rocío Banquells as Esther Izaguirre
- Christian Bach as Joanna Smith
- Rafael Banquells as Adrián
- Augusto Benedico as Don Alberto Salvatierra
- Guillermo Capetillo as Alberto Salvatierra Villareal "Beto"
- Ada Carrasco as Felipa
- Estela Chacón as Virginia enfermera
- Aurora Clavel as Mama Chole López
- Edith González as Marisabel Castañeda Smith
- Alicia Rodríguez as Doña Elena Izaguirre de Salvatierra
- Yolanda Mérida as Ramona
- Ricardo Cortés as Juan Manuel
- Marina Dorell as Sara González
- Arturo Lorca as Jaime
- Magda Haller as Doña Rosario
- Robertha as Roberta
- Columba Domínguez as María (#1)
- Marilú Elízaga as Doña Elena Izaguirre de Salvatierra
- Connie de la Mora as Patricia Medina
- Manuel Guízar as Dr. Francisco Campos
- Flor Procuna as Irma Ramos, viuda de Villareal
- Miguel Palmer as Diego Ávila (#1)
- Fernando Luján as Diego Ávila (#2)
- Carlos Fernández as Carlos Castañeda
- Edgar Wald
- Carlos Cámara as Fernando
The theme songs is "Aprendí a Llorar" sung by Verónica Castro.
- Pavlov, Alexander (1 July 2017). Сериалы как отражение: у них и у нас (in Russian). Echo of Moscow. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- Tett, Gillian (October 30 2019). "What a Mexican soap star taught me about globalisation". Financial Times. Retrieved 2 November 2019. Check date values in: