Losing a Whole Year
|"Losing a Whole Year"|
|Single by Third Eye Blind|
|from the album Third Eye Blind|
|Third Eye Blind singles chronology|
"Losing a Whole Year" is a song by American alternative group Third Eye Blind. It was released in March 1998 as the fourth single from their 1997 self-titled debut album. It was written by Stephan Jenkins and Kevin Cadogan. The song received positive reviews from music critics and charted on the Billboard Alternative Songs and Mainstream Rock charts. A music video was released in support of the single.
The song was written by Stephen Jenkins and Kevin Cadogan. According to Jenkins, the song "started from a riff that Kevin was playing on the guitar. The words were how that riff made me feel. The story is just lamenting the end of a relationship and all of its wasted time." During a concert on December 9, 2000, Jenkins said that the song "is about a rich girl from Bernal Heights."
"Losing a Whole Year" was released as a single from Third Eye Blind's 1997 self-titled album. The song received a positive reaction from music critics. Chuck Eddy of Spin magazine called it one of the band's "catchiest" songs. Allmusic's Mike DeGagne agreed, writing that "its pop-friendly makeup of frolicking guitar and a welcoming tempo make it one of the band's most catchiest tunes."
"Losing a Whole Year" stayed on the Billboard Alternative Songs chart for 14 weeks and peaked at number 13 on May 2, 1998. The song also appeared on the Mainstream Rock chart in 1998, peaking at number 36.
Third Eye Blind planned to make two music videos for "Losing a Whole Year", but ultimately only one was released. The video features the band performing the song in front of an audience of three laughing women. At the end of the video, two cars crash into each other right in front of the band members.
- "Losing a Whole Year"
- "Horror Show"
- "Losing a Whole Year (Remix - Strings Up)"
- "Losing a Whole Year (Radio Mix)"
- "Losing a Whole Year (Remix)"
- "Losing a Whole Year (LP Version)"
- "Horror Show (Non-LP Track)"
- "Graduate (Remix)"
|U.S. Billboard Alternative Songs||13|
|U.S. Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks||36|
- "Losing a Whole Year - Third Eye Blind". billboard.com. Retrieved March 19, 2011.
- "Losing a Whole Year". stephanjenkins.com. Retrieved October 17, 2010.
- Tirone, Mike. "San Fran Band, Third Eye Blind to perform at Loyola". loyolagreyhound.com. January 21, 2008. Retrieved March 19, 2011.
- Eddy, Chuck. "Third Eye Blind / Smash Mouth". Spin. May 1998, p. 142.
- DeGagne, Mike. "Losing a Whole Year". allmusic.com. Retrieved March 19, 2011.
- "Third Eye Blind". allmusic.com. Retrieved March 19, 2011.
- "Third Eye Blind Really Wants To Direct". mtv.com. April 13, 1998. Retrieved March 19, 2011.
- Strong, Martin. The Great Rock Discography (Canongate U.S., 2004), p. 1538.