|This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (July 2014)|
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (October 2013)|
Can also be called Nonadditive. If you decompose a relation into relations and you will guarantee a Lossless-Join if ⋈ = .
If R is split into R1 and R2, for the decomposition to be lossless then at least one of the two should hold true.
Projecting on R1 and R2, and joining back, results in the relation you started with. Let be a relation schema.
Let be a set of functional dependencies on .
Let and form a decomposition of .
The decomposition is a lossless-join decomposition of R if at least one of the following functional dependencies are in + (where + stands for the closure for every attribute or attribute sets in ):
- ∩ →
- ∩ →
- Let be the relation schema, with , , and attributes.
- Let be the set of functional dependencies.
- Decomposition into and is lossless under because , is a superkey in ( ) so .
- "Lossless Join Property". stackoverflow.com. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- "Lossless Join Decomposition" (PDF). University at Buffalo. Jan Chomicki. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- "Lossless-Join Decomposition". www.cs.sfu.ca. Retrieved 2016-02-07.