Official Tribeca teaser
|Directed by||Katharine O'Brien|
|Screenplay by||Katharine O'Brien|
|Music by||Hugo Nicolson|
|Cinematography||Arnau Valls Colomer|
|Edited by||Yannis Chalkiadakis|
Hannah (Juno Temple), a shy songwriter, discovers that her friend, respected record producer Theo Ross (Simon Pegg), has lapsed on his medication for schizophrenia. Hannah rallies a group of friends to help commit Theo to a psychiatric hospital, chasing him as he outruns his colorful delusions through the glamour and grit of Los Angeles. Many of the actors play behind-the-scenes people in the music industry.
- Simon Pegg as Theo Ross
- Juno Temple as Hannah
- Alexandra Daddario as Dana Lee
- Tao Okamoto as Wendi
- Rosanna Arquette
- Bria Vinaite
- Jamie Harris as Angus
- Danny Ramirez as Jake
- Reef Karim as Dr. Klopek
- Jonathan Ohye as Dr. Matsumoto
- Rebecca Hazlewood
- Grant Harvey
- Robert Schwartzman
- Daisy Bishop
- Jacob Loeb
- Nana Ghana
On August 2, 2018, the last day of filming, it was announced Juno Temple, Alexandra Daddario, Tao Okamoto, Rosanna Arquette, Bria Vinaite, Jamie Harris, Danny Ramirez, Rebecca Hazelwood, Reef Karim, Daisy Bishop, Grant Harvey, Jacob Loeb, Jonathan Ohye, Nana Ghana and Robert Schwartzman had joined the cast of the film.
According to the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, 80% of critics have given the film a positive review based on 5 reviews, with an average rating of 7.5/10. Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned the film a score of 55 out of 100 based on 2 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews."
After its Tribeca premiere, John DeFore of The Hollywood Reporter gave a positive review by stating "Lost Transmissions gave a sympathetic and appropriately downtempo look at a musician's mental illness. The film tells its story without engaging with foolish cliches about creativity and madness." Joey Magidson of Hollywood News also gave a positive review by stating "Simon Pegg and Juno Temple have never been better, exercising new acting muscles and causing you to re-evaluate what each is capable of." Kristy Strouse of Film Inquiry gave another positive review by stating "Lost Transmissions really finds its identity in the softer moments between our two leads, as the heartbreak comes to the surface and they acknowledge their own (and each other's) struggles."
Conversely, Alex Papaioannou of Popaxiom gave a mixed review by stating "Lost Transmissions takes the form of a bright spotlight that is necessary to expose harsh realities, and hopefully promote change. Unfortunately, there are times when these examples come off as misguided or played for laughs, which is upsetting whether intentional or not. This debut is a film about mental health and music, and while an important subject matter, it doesn't necessarily hit all the marks that it should. Still, Simon Pegg is absolutely fantastic and confirms his serious acting skills." Owen Gleiberman of Variety also gave a mixed review by stating "Lost Transmissions is a murky and unfocused journey, set in a Los Angeles that looks as sodden as London on an overcast day."
Emily Sears of Birth.Movies.Death. gave a negative review by stating "The plot of Lost Transmissions limits the performances, seesawing back and forth too often between Theo manipulating the system and Hannah being too stubborn to give up."
- "'Lost Transmissions'". Tribeca Film Festival. Retrieved March 13, 2019.
- Hayes, Dade (March 5, 2019). "Tribeca Film Festival Unveils Feature Lineup, With Screen Time For John DeLorean, Muhammad Ali, Chelsea Manning". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 5, 2019.
- Lodderhose, Diana (April 4, 2017). "Simon Pegg To Star In Katharine O'Brien's 'Lost Transmissions' For Pulse Films". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 28, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (April 4, 2017). "Simon Pegg to Star in Rock 'n' Roll Drama 'Lost Transmissions'". Variety. Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- Wiseman, Andreas (August 2, 2018). "Simon Pegg-Juno Temple Starrer 'Lost Transmissions' Wraps Shoot For Royal Road, Underlying Tension & Pulse". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- "Lost Transmissions (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved May 16, 2019.
- "Lost Transmissions". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved May 25, 2019.
- DeFore, John (April 28, 2019). "'Lost Transmissions': Film Review - Tribeca 2019". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 29, 2019.
- Magidson, Joey (May 10, 2019). "Simon Pegg And Juno Temple Are At Their Best In "Lost Transmissions"". Hollywood News. Retrieved May 19, 2019.
- Strouse, Kristy (May 6, 2019). "Tribeca 2019 Round Up #2: ALL I CAN SAY, BLISS & LOST TRANSMISSIONS (+ Interview With Simon Pegg)". Film Inquiry. Retrieved May 8, 2019.
- Papaioannou, Alex (May 1, 2019). "Tribeca 2019 – Review: How LOST TRANSMISSIONS Gets Lost In Itself Too Often". Popaxiom. Retrieved May 1, 2019.
- Gleiberman, Owen (May 3, 2019). "Tribeca Film Review: 'Lost Transmissions'". Variety. Retrieved May 6, 2019.
- Sears, Emily (May 9, 2019). "Tribeca '19 Review: LOST TRANSMISSIONS Never Finds The Right Frequency". Birth.Movies.Death. Retrieved May 17, 2019.