Lost and Love
|Lost and Love|
|Directed by||Peng Sanyuan|
|Written by||Peng Sanyuan|
|Music by||Zbigniew Preisner|
|Cinematography||Mark Lee Ping Bin|
|Edited by||Angie Lam|
Huayi Brothers (China)|
Edko Films (Hong Kong)
Standard Mandarin Chinese |
Lost and Love is a 2015 Chinese-Hong Kong road drama film written and directed by novelist and television screenwriter Peng Sanyuan in her directorial debut and starring Andy Lau and Jing Boran. The film is inspired by an actual abduction case in 2010 when a Hubei resident was reunited with his son, who had been missing for three years, when a university student recognized the child after seeing a post on Sina Weibo.
One day in 1999 when his two-year-old son Lei Da went missing, Anhui farmer Lei Zekuan (Lau) begins his fifteen-year-long journey of hardship searching for his lost son. On his way he meets Zeng Shuai, a young car mechanic who was abducted as a child himself and is also searching for his parents.
- Andy Lau as Lei Zekuan (雷澤寬),a Anhui farmer
- Jing Boran as Zeng Shuai (曾帥), a bike mechanic
- Tony Leung Ka-fai as a Chongqing traffic cop (cameo)
- Sandra Ng as a Human trafficker (cameo)
Director Peng Sanyuan revealed that the role of Lei Zekuan was tailor-made for Lau.
Filming began on 10 March 2014 in Quanzhou, Fujian. Besides Quanzhou, filming will also shift to many different provinces including in rural southwestern mountains where conditions are difficult. The shoot in Quanzhou attracted many onlookers in the streets as Lau's fans were eager to see their idol in his new look for the film and take pictures. This resulted in a major traffic jam and some fans even climbed a tree just to catch a glimpse of Lau.
On 14 April, the crew was spotted in Nanchang, Jiangxi where Lau was shooting a scene at the Nanchang bus station where he was pasting missing people notice on the pillars before being chased by uniformed security officers. Although the scene caught the attention of the public, nobody was able to recognize Lau.
Filming was shifted to Chongqing on 29 April. During the shoot in Chongqing, an incident happened where a female reporter was injured while running away from crew members who discovered her secretly photographing them Another incident occurred on 17 May during the shoot in Chengdu where a crew member quarreled with a female onlooker. The crew member was seen pushing the onlooker to the floor and struggling with her. Afterwards, Lau, who witnessed everything, was seen scolding the crew member for his mistakes.
After two and a half months of shooting throughout China, the filming of Lost and Love concluded on 23 May in Chengdu. As Lau was leaving Chengdu two days afterwards, he arranged a meetup with his fans.
On 8 May 2014, Huayi Brothers unveiled 32 films slated for production and distribution, with Lost and Love slated to be released in September 2014. On 15 January 2015, it was announced that the film is set for release on 20 March 2015.
Lost and Love received generally positive reviews from critics. Maggie Lee of Variety Film Reviews gave the film a positive review and writes "Notwithstanding some sentimental beats, Peng achieves a delicate balance between bleak realities and a life-affirming attitude, capped by a predictable but necessary catharsis." In Clarence Tsui review for The Hollywood Reporter, he mainly praised Mark Lee Ping Bin's cinematography and writes "These lush depictions of city and country fill in the dots between the film's dramatic plot points, gently driving the story forward while hinting at the social climate of the day." Joe Bendel of Libertas Film Magazine gave the film a score of B+ and praises the performances of stars Andy Lau and Jing Boran, director Peng's direction and Lee's cinematography and concludes his review by writing "Despite some conspicuous loose ends, Lost and Love is a refreshingly mature and accessible drama, recommended for mainstream audiences." Tom Keogh of The Seattle Times rated the film 3 out of 4 stars and writes "Writer-director Peng Sanyuan gracefully cycles through ever-changing shifts in mood and tone, a reflection of the understandably mercurial emotions of the film’s two lead characters, the middle-aged Lei (Hong Kong superstar Andy Lau) and the 20-ish Ceng (Jing Boran)." James Verniere of Boston Herald gave the film a score of A- praising Lau as "the reason to see China Lion’s Lost and Love, a powerful Chinese drama about the widespread problem of abducted children" and refers it as "a film that will appeal to and move everyone."
Lost and Love grossed US$18.17 million during its opening weekend, finishing in second place at the Chinese box office behind Hollywood film Cinderella. During its second week, the film dropped to third place, earning US$5.31 million between 27 to 29 March. After ten days of release, the film has earned US$32 million to date.
During the opening weekend of its limited release in North America, Lost and Love earned an estimated US$85,000 from 24 locations.
|35th Hong Kong Film Awards||Best Actor||Andy Lau||Nominated|
|30th Golden Rooster Awards||Best Directorial Debut||Peng Sanyuan||Nominated|
|Best Actor||Andy Lau||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor||Jing Boran||Nominated|
|Best Cinematography||Mark Lee Ping Bin||Nominated|
- "China Lion to Release Andy Lau's 'Lost and Love' in North America, Australia".
- "The Film Catalogue - Lost and Love".
- "Love and Lost (Shi Gu) (2015) - Box Office Mojo".
- "Love and Lost (Shi Gu) (2015) - International Box Office Results -Box Office Mojo".
- "ANDY LAU PLAYS A FARMER IN SEARCH OF HIS SON".
- "Andy Lau Searches for Abducted Son in "Lost and Lonely"".
- "Andy to be in 15 years journey searching for his son in new film".
- "电影《失孤》昨起泉州取景 刘德华泉州拍戏". Archived from the original on 2014-03-11.
- "Farmer Andy searching for his son in Quanzhou".
- "Fans climb trees and cause traffic jam -- all to catch a glimpse of 'dirty' Andy Lau".
- "Andy secretly came to Nanchang to search for his child".
- "Andy arrived in Chongqing for location shooting of Lost and Lonely".
- "Female reporter injured while reporting on Lost and Lonely".
- "Crew member got into trouble with onlookers, Andy went up to mediate".
- "Lost and Lonely completed shooting".
- "华谊公布今明两年32部电影 目标100亿".
- "《失孤》定档3.20曝前导预告海报 刘德华骑摩托农民造型首度揭秘".
- "Film Review: 'Lost and Love'".
- "'Lost and Love' ('Shi Gu'): Film Review".
- "Child Abduction in China: LFM Reviews Lost and Love".
- "'Lost and Love': Human trafficking connects unlikely pair".
- "Andy Lau's 'Lost' a true find".
- Clifford Coonan (March 23, 2015). "China Box Office: 'Cinderella' Stays On Top as Andy Lau's 'Lost and Love' Opens Strongly". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 24, 2015.
- "Kingsman explodes at China box office".
- "Abduction drama kidnaps China box office".