Lost in Music
|"Lost in Music"|
|Single by Sister Sledge|
|from the album We Are Family|
|B-side||"Thinking of You"|
|Released||April 4, 1979|
1978 at The Power Station|
(New York City, New York)
|Length||4:52 (LP version)|
"Lost in Music" is a 1979 single by the American vocal group Sister Sledge. Taken from their album We Are Family, the song was written and produced by Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards (of the group Chic).
"Lost in Music" was one of the group's biggest hits. The song reached number one on the US Billboard Hot Dance Club Play chart (along with "We Are Family" and "He's The Greatest Dancer") for two weeks in April 1979, while charting at No. 35 on the US Billboard R&B chart (then called the Hot Soul Singles chart)). It also reached the UK top twenty in three separate decades. The original version reached #17 in 1979, while a "Special 1984 Nile Rodgers Remix" reached No. 4 in 1984. In 1993, the 'Sure Is Pure' remix reached #14.
In the media
In 2006, the 'Special 1984 Nile Rodgers Remix' was used in the Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories soundtrack. Two years later, the song featured prominently in the karaoke style game show Who Dares, Sings!, being performed by the presenters at the start of each show.
The song was also covered by British post-punk band The Fall on their 1993 album The Infotainment Scan. The song was again featured prominently during the season two premiere (01/11/15) of the HBO series Looking where the cast dance to it at a party in the woods.
|US Billboard Hot Disco Singles||1|
|US Billboard Hot Soul Singles||35|
|Europe (Eurochart Hot 100)||48|
- "Lost In Music (master)". Discogs.
- "Sister Sledge". The Official Charts Company.
- "Lost In Music (1984)". Discogs.
- "Sister Sledge". Allmusic.
- "Lost In Music (1993)". Discogs.
- Macdonald, Neil (15 April 2013). "A Past Gone Rad: The Fall's Infotainment Scan 20 Years On". The Quietus. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "Eurochart Hot 100 Singles" (PDF). Music & Media. March 20, 1993. Retrieved March 23, 2018.