Lotte Verbeek in 2008
24 June 1982 |
|Occupation||Actress, dancer, model|
Verbeek was born in Venlo, Netherlands. She was educated at Gymnasium Collegium Marianum in Venlo and graduated in 2008 at the Theaterschool in Amsterdam. From 1999, Verbeek attended the Dance Academy in Arnhem and the Amsterdam Academy of Jazz/Musical Theatre and Dance, where she graduated in 2006. During her studies she worked as a dancer and model for photographer Erwin Olaf.
After completing high school, Verbeek started her acting career performing lead roles in Dutch movies such as Moes (2006) and LEFT (2007), in which she plays five double roles.
In 2009 she won the Leopard for best actress at the Locarno International Film Festival for her role of Anne in Nothing Personal, Dutch movie directed by Urszula Antoniak. For the same part she was also the recipient of the best actress award at the International Film Festival of Marrakech 2009 and was nominated as best actress for the Golden Calf at the Netherlands Film Festival.
In 2010 Verbeek received the Shooting Stars Award, the annual acting award for up-and-coming actors by European Film Promotion, at the Berlin International Film Festival. In the same year she was cast in Le Ragazze dello Swing (The Swing Girls), an award-winning Italian mini-series based on the Trio Lescano story. For her main role as Judith Leschan she received a Golden Nymph award for best actress alongside Andrea Osvart and Elise Schaap at Monte-Carlo Television Festival 2011.
From 2011-2013, she played Giulia Farnese in the Showtime period drama The Borgias, alongside Jeremy Irons in the role of Pope Alexander VI. The series was created by Neil Jordan and shot in Budapest.
In 2014 she began playing Geillis Duncan in the Starz television drama Outlander and she was cast as Helena in the upcoming movie The Last Witch Hunter, alongside Vin Diesel in the role of Kaulder. 
Verbeek speaks Dutch, English, French, German and Italian. In addition to her drama and dance studies, she followed many singing lessons and workshops. Even though she can sing in the soprano vocal range, in Le Ragazze dello Swing the songs are performed by The Blue Dolls.
|Film and Television|
|2010||Le Ragazze dello Swing||Judith Leschan||TV mini-series||Rai 1|
|2011-2013||The Borgias||Giulia Farnese||TV series||Showtime|
|2012||Suspension of Disbelief||Therese/Angelique|
|2014||Outlander||Geillis Duncan||TV Series||Starz|
|2014||The Fault in Our Stars||Lidewij Vliegenthart|
|2015||The Last Witch Hunter||Helena|
|2009||Maria Magdalena||director Van Wayb Traub|
Notes and references
- "Lotte Cast Nothing Personal". nothingpersonalthemovie. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Lotte Verbeek Shooting Stars". shootingstars. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Goldener Leopard von Locarno geht an eine Chinesin" (in German). nzz.ch. 16 August 2009.
- "62nd Locarno Film Festival" (PDF). pardo,ch. p. 2. Retrieved 29 April 2011.
- "Palmares 2009". festivalmarrakech.info. Retrieved 23 June 2011.
- Screen Daily: EFP reveals line-up for 2010 Shooting Stars talent showcase(registration required)
- "Le ragazze dello Swing" (in Italian). Davide Maggio. 15 June 2011. Retrieved 22 November 2011.
- "Giulia Farnese". Showtime. Retrieved 23 June 2011.
- Weissberg, Jay (15 November 2012). "Suspension of Disbelief". variety. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "First still shot with Vin Diesel on The Last Witch Hunter. So excited!". Lotte Verbeek. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "Blue Dolls Biography" (in Italian). bluedolls. Retrieved 26 February 2015.