|Admin. division||Luang Namtha Province|
|Time zone||UTC+7 (ICT)|
From January through May 1962, troops from the Royal Lao Army fought the Pathet Lao and People's Army of Vietnam in the Battle of Luang Namtha. The battle ended with the RLA's headlong retreat southward 150 kilometers across the Mekong River.
In the rainy season, Luang Namtha can be reached by boat from the Mekong River. It is connected by Highway 3 to both the Thai border at Huay Xai/Chiang Khong (197 km (122 mi)) and the Chinese border at Boten/Mengla (60 km (37 mi)). Luang Namtha is also served by Luangnamtha Airport, 6 km (3.7 mi) south of the city.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2014)
- Conboy, Morrision, pp. 67-73.
- Conboy, Kenneth and James Morrison (1995). Shadow War: The CIA's Secret War in Laos. Paladin Press. ISBN 0-87364-825-0.
- Luang Namtha travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Biodiversity Profile for Luang Namtha Province, 2003
- Ethnic diversity in Luang Namtha - Laos
- Facebook photo gallery
Media related to Louang Namtha at Wikimedia Commons