Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History
The Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, also known as The Nunn Center, at the University of Kentucky is a center of oral history interviews concentrating on 20th and 21st century, state Kentucky history. The Nunn Center maintains a collection of over 8,000 interviews made up of over 100 projects with an emphasis on political, Appalachian, agricultural, athletic and veterans' history. The Nunn Center for Oral History is part of the University of Kentucky Libraries Special Collections division.
The oral history program at the University of Kentucky Libraries was begun in 1973 by Charles Atcher. From 1974 until 2005, the program was directed by Terry Birdwhistell, Ed.D. followed by Jeffrey Suchanek. Since 2008, the Nunn Center has been directed by Doug Boyd, Ph.D. The Center is named after former Kentucky Governor Louie B. Nunn.
The Nunn Center contains over 8,000 interviews featuring a variety of individuals and projects. Major projects have included the Family Farm Project, the Colonel Arthur L. Kelly Veterans Oral History Project, oral history projects on University of Kentucky history, African American history in Kentucky, Kentucky writers, Kentucky's medical history, the history of professional baseball, as well as more recent project featuring the Horse Industry in Kentucky, as well as on the Kentucky General Assembly.
The Nunn Center has aggressively undertaken efforts to digitize its collection.
Oral History Metadata Synchronizer (OHMS)
In 2008, the Nunn Center launched the Oral History Metadata Synchronizer (OHMS) online interface that synchronizes searchable text to audio and video. This system, designed by Nunn Center director Doug Boyd in partnership with Digital Library Services from the United Kingdom, allows users to link from their search results tom the corresponding moments in the interview. The OHMS was featured in an article in the Chronicle of Higher Education in July 2011.
In October 2011, the Nunn Center launched SPOKE, the online catalog containing records for each interview and project.
- African American Farmers
- Alben Barkley
- Black Church in Kentucky
- Blacks in Kentucky
- Blacks in Lexington
- Anne Braden Oral History Project
- Edward T. Breathitt
- Buffalo Trace Distillery
- A.B. "Happy" Chandler
- Christian Appalachian Project
- Earle C. Clements
- Bert T. Combs
- John Sherman Cooper
- Country Doctors and Nurses
- Harry Caudill
- Horse Industry in Kentucky
- Family and Gender in the Coal Community
- Family Farm Project
- Wendell H. Ford
- From Combat to Kentucky: Student Veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars
- Frontier Nursing Service
- History of Broadcasting in Kentucky
- History of Education in Kentucky
- History of Medicine in Fayette County, Kentucky
- Walter D. Huddleston
- Immigrants in Coal Communities
- Interscholastic Athletics in Kentucky
- Col. Arthur L. Kelly American Veterans Project
- Kentucky Coal Operators
- Kentucky Conservationists
- Kentucky Family Farm
- Kentucky Folk Art
- Kentucky Legislature
- Kentucky Writers
- Thruston B. Morton
- John Jacob Niles
- Louie B. Nunn
- Peace Corps
- John Ed Pearce
- Politics in Lexington, Kentucky
- Edward F. Prichard
- Race Relations in Owensboro-Daviess County, Kentucky, 1930-1970
- Stanley F. Reed
- Roving Pickets in the Coal Fields
- Cora Wilson Stewart
- Tobacco Production Technology and Policy
- University of Kentucky Medical Center
- Urban Appalachian Women in Cincinnati, Ohio
- Veterans of World War Two
- Veterans of the Korean War
- Veterans of the Vietnam War
- Fred M. Vinson
- War on Poverty
- Robert Penn Warren
- Robert Penn Warren Civil Rights Project
- Lawrence W. Wetherby
- Charles T. Wethington Alumni/Faculty Project
- "Terry L. Birdwhistell, Ed.D. in '95. Named to the Alumni Hall of Fame in 2006". University of Kentucky College of Education - Alumni Hall of Fame. 2006. Retrieved 30 October 2011.
- "Nunn Center Names New Director" (PDF). The Kentucky Archivist. 30 (1): 5. Spring 2008. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- Wright, G. C. (1 January 1982). "Oral History and the Search for the Black Past in Kentucky" (PDF). Oral History Review. 10 (1): 73–91. doi:10.1093/ohr/10.1.73. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- Weig, Eric; Terry, Kopana; Lybarger, Kathryn (May 2007). "Large Scale Digitization of Oral History: A Case Study". D-Lib Magazine. 13 (5/6). Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- Harrison, Denise; Skalsky, Cindy (9 September 2009). "Digital Repositories: U Kentucky Goes Digital with Thousands of Oral Histories". Campus Technology. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- Wolverton, Brad (7 July 2011). "New Tool Could Help Researchers Make Better Use of Oral Histories". The Chronicle of Higher Education. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History
- Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History on Twitter
- Kentucky Oral History online public access catalog of collections
- University of Kentucky Libraries
- From Combat to Kentucky Oral History Project: Interviews with Student Veterans at Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History
- Saving Stories blog at Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History
- Curiosities and Wonders blog at University of Kentucky Archives and the Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History