Louis-Jeantet Prize for Medicine
Established in 1986, the Louis-Jeantet Prizes are awarded each year to experienced researchers who have distinguished themselves in the field of biomedical research in one of the member states of the Council of Europe. They are not intended solely as the recognition of work that has been completed, but also to encourage the continuation of innovative research projects. The prizes are awarded to fully active researchers whose scientific efforts are focused on biomedical research .
The particular research domains in which prizes have been awarded are physiology, biophysics, structural biology, biochemistry, cellular and molecular biology, developmental biology and genetics; prize-winners have worked in immunology, virology, bacteriology, neurobiology, clinical epidemiology and structural biochemistry.
The Prize is endowed with 1.4 million Swiss francs. The sum available to each prize-winner amounts to 500’000 francs, of which 450’000 francs are to be used for financing ongoing research and 50’000 francs are given to the researcher personally.
List of winners:
- 1986: Luc Montagnier, Michael Berridge, Désiré Collen
- 1987: Sydney Brenner, Walter Gehring, Dominique Stehelin
- 1988: Rolf Zinkernagel, John Skehel, Bert Sakmann
- 1989: Roberto Poljak, Walter Schaffner, Greg Winter
- 1990: Nicole Le Douarin, Harald von Boehmer, Gottfried Schatz
- 1991: Pierre Chambon, Frank Grosveld, Hugh Pelham
- 1992: Paul Nurse, Christiane Nüsslein-Volhard, Alain Townsend
- 1993: Jean-Pierre Changeux, Richard Henderson, Kurt Wüthrich
- 1994: Thierry Boon, Jan Holmgren, Philippe Sansonetti
- 1995: Dirk Bootsma and Jan Hoeijmakers, Peter Goodfellow and Robin Lovell-Badge, Peter Gruss
- 1996: Björn Dahlbäck, Ulrich K. Laemmli, Nigel Unwin
- 1997: Philip Cohen, Kim Nasmyth, Richard Peto
- 1998: Denis Duboule, Walter Keller, Ronald Laskey
- 1999: Adrian P. Bird, Herbert Jäckle, Jean-Louis Mandel
- 2000: Konrad Basler, Thomas J. Jentsch, Ueli Schibler
- 2001: Alain Fischer, Iain W. Mattaj, Alfred Wittinghofer
- 2002: Timothy J. Richmond, Richard Treisman, Karl Tryggvason
- 2003: Wolfgang Baumeister, Riitta Hari, Nikos K. Logothetis
- 2004: Hans Clevers, Alec J. Jeffreys
- 2005: Alan Hall, Svante Pääbo
- 2006: Kari Alitalo, Christine Petit
- 2007: Venkatraman Ramakrishnan, Stephen C. West
- 2008: Pascale Cossart, Jurg Tschopp
- 2009: Michael N. Hall, Peter J Ratcliffe
- 2010: Michel Haïssaguerre, Austin Smith
- 2011: Stefan Jentsch, Edvard Moser, May-Britt Moser
- 2012: Matthias Mann, Fiona Powrie
- 2013: Michael Stratton, Peter Hegemann, Georg Nagel
- 2014: Elena Conti, Denis Le Bihan
- 2015: Emmanuelle Charpentier, Rudolf Zechner
- 2016: Andrea Ballabio, John F. X. Diffley
- 2017: Silvia Arber, Caetano Reis e Sousa 
- 2018: Christer Betsholtz, Antonio Lanzavecchia
- 2019: Luigi Naldini, Botond Roska
Notes and references
- Louis-Jeantet Prize
- "The winners of the Louis-Jeantet Prize for medicine". Louis-Jeante Foundation. Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- (in French) Aurélie Coulon, "Vivre pour comprendre", Le Temps, Wednesday 22 April 2015, page 24.
- "2017 Caetano Reis e Sousa".
- List of science and technology awards
- Prizes named after people
- Louis-Jeantet Foundation
- Latsis Foundation
- Marcel Benoist Prize