Delmas during the 2011 NFL season
|No. 25 Miami Dolphins|
|Date of birth:||April 12, 1987|
|Place of birth:||Fort Pierce, Florida|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||210 lb (95 kg)|
|High school:||North Miami Beach (FL)|
|NFL draft:||2009 – 2nd round – 33rd pick|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2014|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Louis Delmas (born April 12, 1987) is an American football safety for the Miami Dolphins of the National Football League(NFL). He was drafted by the Detroit Lions in the second round of the 2009 NFL Draft. He played college football at Western Michigan. Delmas is of Haitian descent.
Early life and high school career
Delmas played college football at Western Michigan from 2005–2008. The Broncos made the 2008 Texas Bowl in his senior year but lost to Rice 38–14. Delmas was named to the All-MAC Defensive First Team in 2008 and played in the 2009 Senior Bowl All-Star game.
2009 NFL Draft
Delmas was considered by some to be a top-10 prospect at his position in the 2009 NFL Draft. Prior to the draft, ESPN's Todd McShay said Delmas had a chance to get drafted in the first three rounds. Delmas was drafted 1st in the second round by the Detroit Lions (33rd overall). Delmas was named 2009 Detroit Lions Rookie of the Year in voting by the Detroit Sports Broadcasters Association.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 11 in||202 lb||4.52 s||1.50 s||2.56 s||4.17 s||6.67 s||37" in||10 ft 6 in||12 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine.|
Delmas was signed by the Lions to a four-year contract. Delmas returned a 65-yard fumble for a touchdown in Week 1 of the 2009 season against the New Orleans Saints. Delmas won September's rookie defensive player of the month award. On December 20, 2009, Delmas became the first rookie in NFL history to record an interception return for a touchdown, a fumble return for a touchdown and a safety in the same season. He is only the second player in NFL history to accomplish the feats in the same season.
On March 15, 2013, Delmas re-signed with the Lions to a two-year contract worth $9.465 million.
On Sunday October 6, 2013, Lion's Center Dominic Raiola was involved in an incident of trash-talking and hate-speech to members of the UW-Madison marching band. Louis Delmas is credited with both apologizing for his teammate's actions and having a word with Raiola off the field.
Delmas was released on February 13, 2014.
On March 10, 2014, Delmas signed a one-year deal with the Miami Dolphins. The contract is worth a maximum of $3.5 million. On December 8, 2014 he was placed on Injured reserve after he tore his right ACL against the Baltimore Ravens.
- "Chart: Haitian Americans in the NFL". Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- [dead link]
- ESPN.com Senior bowl roster finalized. Myespn.go.com. Retrieved on 2012-05-30.
- 2009 NFL Draft rankings. draftcountdown.com
- Virginia's Sintim, Indiana's Thigpen generating interest; Top 32 shuffled. Sports.espn.go.com (2008-11-21). Retrieved on 2012-05-30.
- "Louis Delmas wins first-ever defensive rookie player of the month award for Lions", Mlive.com, October 1, 2009
- Twentyman, Tim (December 21, 2009), "Key play: Delmas pick goes long distance", The Detroit News
- Detroit Lions: Louis Delmas, September 19, 2011
- "Stafford, Suh, and Delmas named Pro Bowl alternates", detroitlions.com, January 6, 2012
- Louis Delmas back with Lions
- Sorgi, Jay. "Lions player tosses epithets, spits at UW Band members during Packers game". Todays TMJ4. NBC. Retrieved 10/7/13. Check date values in:
- Louis Delmas, Miami Dolphins strike one-year deal
- Louis Delmas to IR for Dolphins with torn ACL