Garrel at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival
14 June 1983 |
|Occupation||Actor, director, screenwriter, cinematographer|
|Partner(s)||Valeria Bruni Tedeschi (2007-2012)|
|Relatives||Maurice Garrel (grandfather)
Thierry Garrel (uncle)
Esther Garrel (sister)
Louis Garrel (born 14 June 1983) is a French actor and filmmaker. He is best known for his starring role in The Dreamers, directed by Bernardo Bertolucci. He regularly appears in films by French director Christophe Honoré, including Ma mère, Dans Paris, Les Chansons d'amour, La Belle Personne and Non ma fille, tu n'iras pas danser.
Garrel is the son of director Philippe Garrel and actress Brigitte Sy. His grandfather, Maurice Garrel, and his godfather, Jean-Pierre Léaud, are also notable French actors. He is a graduate of the Conservatoire de Paris.
Garrel was six when he first appeared onscreen, in the film Le baisers de secours. Twelve years later, he appeared in his second film, Ceci est mon corps.
In 2002, Garrel gained international recognition playing Eva Green's twin brother in The Dreamers. Director Bernardo Bertolucci found him on the first session of casting in Paris. Garrel has since starred in various French films, including Les Amants réguliers (2005), directed by his father Philippe Garrel. He was awarded the César Award for Most Promising Actor for his work in the film.
The youngest Garrel has been exploring his talents: he showcased his singing ability in the Christophe Honoré-directed film Les Chansons d'amour. In 2008, Garrel wrote and directed a short film, Mes copains (My buddies).
Garrel was in a relationship with Valeria Bruni Tedeschi from 2007 to 2012. She is the elder sister of Carla Bruni, the former French First Lady. In 2009 Bruni Tedeschi and Garrel adopted a baby from Senegal, whom they named Céline.
Garrel dated French-Iranian actress Golshifteh Farahani from 2012 to 2014.
|1989||Le baisers de secours||Lo|
|2001||Ceci est mon corps||Antoine|
|2002||The War in Paris (La guerre à Paris)|
|2004||Ma mère||Pierre, the Son|
|2005||Regular Lovers||François Dervieux||César Award for Most Promising Actor
Etoiles d'Or for Best Male Newcomer (La révélation masculine)
|2006||A Curtain Raiser (Un lever de rideau)||Bruno||Short film|
|2007||Love Songs||Ismaël Bénoliel|
|2008||Frontier of the Dawn||François|
|2008||The Beautiful Person||Jacques Nemours|
|2009||Making Plans for Lena||Simon|
|2010||Le mariage à trois||Théo|
|2010||Heartbeats||Guest in the final scene|
|2010||Diarchy||Short film written and directed by Ferdinando Cito Filomarino|
|2011||La règle de trois||Louis||Short film|
|2011||A Burning Hot Summer||Frédéric|
|2012||Les coquillettes||Louis Garrel|
|2013||A Castle in Italy||Nathan|
|2014||Saint Laurent||Jacques de Bascher||Nominated—César Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|2015||Les Deux Amis||Abel|
|2008||Mes copains||Writer, Director||Short film|
|2010||Petit tailleur||Writer, Director||Short film|
|2011||Sleepless Nights Stories||Cinematographer|
|2011||La Règle de trois||Writer, Director||Short film|
|2015||Les Deux Amis||Star, Writer, Director||Directorial feature debut|
Awards and nominations
|2006||Most Promising Actor||Regular Lovers||Won|
|2015||Best Supporting Actor||Saint Laurent||Nominated|
|2006||Best Male Newcomer (La révélation masculine)||Regular Lovers||Won|
Prix Patrick Dewaere
|2009||The award has been given since 2008, in memory of French actor Patrick Dewaere||Won|
- The Auteurs - Louis Garrel theauteurs.com
- Rozemeyer, Karl. "Louis Garrel - Better in Threes" Premiere.com. March 21, 2008. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- Internet Movie Database - Louis Garrel imdb.com
- The Auteurs - Philippe Garrel theauteurs.com
- Morales, Wilson. "The Dreamers: An Interview with Bernardo Bertolucci", Blackfilm.com. 2004. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- Orange, Michelle. "Talking with Christopher Honoré and Louis Garrel", The Village Voice, 18 March 2008. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- Boivin, Justine. "Tout oppose les deux sœur", Gala, 14 October 2008. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- Allen, Peter. "Carla Bruni 'besotted' after becoming aunt to Senegalese baby... will she adopt one of her own?", Daily Mail, March 20, 2009. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- "Exclu Public : Laetitia Casta : sa nouvelle love story !". Public. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- Académie des César - Site Officiel
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Louis Garrel.|