Hyman revised his doctoral dissertation into a book during a fellowship at the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. The result, titled Debtor Nation: The History of America in Red Ink, was published by Princeton University Press in 2011. Choice named it one of the top 25 "Outstanding Academic Titles" for 2011.
Hyman has served as a consultant for global management consulting firm McKinsey & Company. His writings have appeared in such publications as Enterprise & Society, Reviews in American History, CNBC, Wilson Quarterly, and the New York Times.
His second book, Borrow: The American Way of Debt, which explained how American culture shaped finance and vice versa, was published in 2012.
After spending time as a lecturer at Harvard, Hyman now works at Cornell University's School of Industrial & Labor Relations, where he is an assistant professor in the Labor Relations, Law, and History department. He continues to conduct research on the history of American capitalism. He also teaches an EdX massive open online course (MOOC) called "American Capitalism: A History".
- Debtor Nation: The History of America in Red Ink (2011)
- Borrow: The American Way of Debt (2012)
- American Capitalism: A Reader (2014) with Edward E. Baptist
- "The Original Subprime Crisis." The New York Times. December 26, 2007.
- "Debtor Nation: How Consumer Credit Built Postwar America." Enterprise & Society, Volume 9, Number 4, December 2008, pp. 614–618.
- "The Architecture of New Deal Capitalism." Reviews in American History, Volume 37, Number 1, March 2009, pp. 93–100.
- "Ending Discrimination, Legitimating Debt: The Political Economy of Race, Gender, and Credit Access in the 1960s and 1970s." Enterprise & Society, Volume 12, Number 1, March 2011, pp. 200–232.
- "Laid Flat by Layaway." The New York Times. October 11, 2011. A23.
- "American Debt, Global Capital." The Shock of the Global. Harvard University Press. (2010)
- "Rethinking the Corporation." What's Good for Business: Business in Postwar: Business and Politics in Postwar America. Oxford University Press. (2012)
- "Program Resources – U.S. Student Grantees". Us.Fulbrightonline.Org. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- "Hyman, L.: Debtor Nation: The History of America in Red Ink". Press.princeton.edu. January 24, 2012. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- "Choice Reviews Online". Cro2.org. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on February 12, 2012. Retrieved February 3, 2012.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Hyman, Louis (October 11, 2011). "Wal-Mart's Layaway Plan". The New York Times.
- "Weddings/Celebrations; Katherine Howe, Louis Hyman". New York Times. June 29, 2003.