Louis I, Count of Montpensier
|Louis I, Count of Montpensier|
Coats of Arms of Louis I, Count of Montpensier
|Spouse(s)||Jeanne, Dauphine d'Auvergne|
|Father||John I, Duke of Bourbon|
|Mother||Marie de Berry, Duchess d'Auvergne|
Louis de Bourbon (1405 – May 1486) was the third son of John I, Duke of Bourbon and Marie, Duchess of Auvergne. He was Count of Montpensier, Clermont-en-Auvergne and Sancerre and Dauphin of Auvergne and was a younger brother of Charles I of Bourbon. He founded the Bourbon-Montpensier branch of the House of Bourbon, who would eventually take over the Duchy in 1505.
In 1428, he married Jeanne, Dauphine d'Auvergne, daughter and heiress of Beraud III, Dauphin d'Auvergne and Count of Clermont-en-Auvergne. After her death in 1436, he retained those titles (his paternal grandmother having been Anne of Auvergne, daughter of Dauphin Beraud II), and on 5 February 1442, married Gabrielle of La Tour (d. 1486), daughter of Bertrand V of La Tour, count of Auvergne and Boulogne. The couple had four children:
- Gilbert, Count of Montpensier (1443–1496)
- John (1445–1485)
- Gabrielle (1447–1516), Countess of Benon, married in 1485 Louis de la Tremoille (d. 1525), Prince of Talmond
- Charlotte (1449–1478), married in 1468 Wolfart van Borselen (d. 1487), Count of Grandpré and Earl of Buchan
He was succeeded by his son Gilbert.
- The Biographical Dictionary, Vol 4, (Longman, Brown and Green: London, 1844), 234.
- The Biographical Dictionary, Vol 4, (Longman, Brown and Green: London, 1844)
Louis I, Count of MontpensierBorn: 1405 Died: May 1486
|Count of Montpensier
Count of Clermont-en-Auvergne
With: Jeanne 1428–1436
|This biography of a French peer or noble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|