Louis L. Stanton
Louis Lee Stanton (born 1927 in New York City) is a Senior United States District Judge for the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
Stanton received a B.A. from Yale University in 1950, a J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1955, and an LL.B from University of Virginia School of Law in 1955. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve as a first lieutenant 1950-1952. He was nominated to the court by Ronald Reagan on June 12, 1985, to a seat vacated by Henry F. Werker, confirmed by the United States Senate on July 16, 1985, and received his commission on July 18, 1985. He assumed senior status on October 1, 1996.
Judge Stanton was the judge in the lawsuit Viacom Int'l, Inc.v. YouTube, Inc., in which Viacom sued YouTube alleging direct and indirect copyright infringement of Viacom's copyrighted works. In response to a formal motion to compel discovery, Judge Stanton ordered Google to provide Viacom with YouTube user data. This decision received criticism from the Electronic Frontier Foundation and privacy advocates. An attorney for the EFF has accused the court of "ignoring the protections of the federal Video Privacy Protection Act." Judge Stanton denied Viacom's motion to reveal the proprietary source code used for YouTube video searches, as well as the Viacom motion to compel Google to provide access to privately stored YouTube videos. Ultimately the companies agreed to anonymize all user data other than that of the defendants' and plaintiffs' employees. In 2010, and in 2013, Judge Stanton ruled in Google's favor in a motion for summary judgment.
- Jesdanun, Anick (2008-07-02). "Court orders YouTube to give Viacom video logs". The Associated Press. Archived from the original on July 6, 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-03.
- Albanesius, Chloe (2008-07-03). "Judge: Google Must Hand Over YouTube User Histories to Viacom". Appscout. Ziff Davis Publishing Holdings. Retrieved 2008-07-03.
- "Judge orders Google to give YouTube user data to Viacom". Agence France-Presse. 2008-07-04.
- "Google must divulge YouTube Log". BBC News. 2008-07-03.
- Auchard, Eric (July 15, 2008). "Lawyers in YouTube lawsuit reach user privacy deal". Reuters.
- Lefkow, Chris (June 23, 2010). "US judge tosses out Viacom copyright suit against YouTube". AFP. Retrieved June 24, 2010.
- Henriques, Diana (December 30, 2008). "Judge in Madoff case asked to widen its scope". The New York Times.
- Louis Lee Stanton at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- NY Times: Judge orders Google to turn over YouTube records
Henry Frederick Werker
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York