Louis La Roche
|Louis La Roche|
|Birth name||Brett Ewels|
|Also known as||Louis La Roche|
|Born||15 September 1990 (age 25)|
|Origin||Norwich, United Kingdom|
|Genres||Nu-disco, French house, funk|
|Occupations||Songwriter, producer, Remixer, DJ|
|Years active||2008 – Present|
|Labels||Ever After Records, Spinnin' Records, Om Records, Nurvous Records,|
Louis La Roche sprung to prominence in 2008 with his Michael Jackson sampled debut track Love (which was originally mistaken for Daft Punk) and featured on an unofficial five-track EP entitled 'The Peach EP' (2008). The track quickly made an impact across online blogs and led to recognition via an article by the British newspaper The Guardian. From there, Louis went on to form his own record label 'Ever After Records', on which he released the EP's 'Me & Her' (2009), 'Super Soaker' (2010) and 'Number One' (2011), a collaboration with German producer Patrick Alavi. He followed this with the single 'My Turn', which featured guest vocals by Yann Destal of Modjo.
At the end of 2011, Louis' next single 'Gimme Gimme/The Wall' topped the Beatport Electronica chart, which was shortly followed by the neighbouring single 'Untrue/Touch Wood'. The track featured a guest appearance from upcoming UK rapper Ad-Apt and contains vocals by Louis himself. Both singles had accompanying videos which were featured on YouTube.
In 2013, Louis released the five-track EP 'Composure' on Ever After Records, shortly followed by the double A-side single 'Kaboom/Funk Trunk Skunk' on Om Records. This single had accompanying music videos which were exclusively featured on Vevo.
During 2014, Louis released the single 'Offline' featuring J Paul Getto & Lizzie Curious on Nurvous Records. This was then followed up with a late 80's inspired EP entitled 'Dusty Cassette' on Ever After Records.
On 1 June 2015, Louis released the single 'Just Like You' on Ever After Records, which was featured on Majestic Casual. This was followed by the release of Louis' debut album 'To Rest Is To Rust' on 6 July 2015.
In addition to his own material, Louis has created a string of official remixes for artists such as Basement Jaxx, Fred Falke, Spiller, Aeroplane, Mike Mago, Don Diablo, VV Brown, Del Marquis (of the Scissor Sisters), Teenage Bad Girl, Mercury Music Prize winner Speech Debelle and The Supermen Lovers. Unofficial remixes include the likes of Michael Jackson, Calvin Harris, Miley Cyrus, Riva Starr & Fatboy Slim, Burial, Kate Bush and Gorillaz.
His tracks have appeared on compilations by Ministry of Sound, Modular, Neon, Hed Kandi, Defected and Annie Mac Presents. Louis La Roche has received radio airplay from DJs such as Pete Tong, Annie Mac, Zane Lowe, Alex Metric, MistaJam, Kissy Sellout, Benji B, Huw Stephens, and Jaymo & Andy George. He has had exclusives mixes on Kiss FM and Australian radio station Triple J. In 2012 Louis hosted an hour-long show for BBC Radio Norfolk as part of the BBC Introducing programme.
In addition to radio, Louis has also written music for television, being featured in the Channel 4 series Skins as well as composing the theme song for Canada's MuchMusic Video Awards. Louis La Roche was featured as The Guardian Music's first 'New Band of The Day' (no. 696) for 2010. Louis was featured in the UK music magazine Future Music (published on 9 May 2012) and recorded a video interview in the MofoHifi studio in London, where he discusses working with FL Studio, producing techniques and his creative process. Louis was promoted to a FL Studio Power User in late 2013.
Between 2011 and 2013 Louis produced a series of 15-minute mixtapes entitled 'Scenery', which have collectively collected over 120,000 plays on SoundCloud. The press release reads: "Scenery is no ordinary mixtape, all featured songs are edits, remixes, ideas and originals from Louis La Roche. There will be no tracklisting, the idea is that Scenery is a listening experience of short songs that create a journey for the listener. This is a free project, released digitally by myself, and each part will come with individual artwork." The final instalment of project ‘Scenery Mixtape Part 6 (THE END)’ was released on 1 August 2014 and was twice the length of the previous mix tapes.
Louis has shared the stage with artists such as Armand Van Helden, A-Trak, Aeroplane, and 2ManyDJs. Since 2008, Louis has toured America, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Europe, Indonesia and Malaysia. European countries include: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Ukraine. Festival appearances include Creamfields, Farmfestival, The Isle of Wight Festival and Oxygen.
- To Rest Is To Rust (Ever After Records, Released 6 July 2015)
- Lend Me A Lug (Animal Language, TBA)
- Don't Hold Back (Ever After Records, 2015)
- Dusty Cassette (Ever After Records, 2014)
- Composure (Ever After Records, 2013)
- Number One, with Patrick Alavi (RoXour, 2011)
- Supersoaker (Ever After Records, 2010)
- Me & Her (Ever After Records, 2009)
- The Peach EP (Unofficial, 2008)
- Just Like You (Ever After Records, Released 1 June 2015)
- The Receiver (Spinnin' Records, 2015)
- Offline – With J Paul Getto & Lizzie Curious (Nurvous Records, 2014)
- Kaboom / Funk Trunk Skunk (OM Records, 2013)
- Untrue / Touch Wood (Ever After Records, 2012)
- Gimme Gimme / The Wall (Ever After Records, 2011)
- My Turn – Feat. Yann Destal (Ever After Records, 2011)
- Public Service Broadcasting, Go! (Test Card Recordings, 2015)
- Slow Knights, Candy Sugar Rush (Self Raising, 2015)
- Montmartre, Out of Violence (MM Music Prod, 2015)
- Luke Million, Light & Sound (Etcetc, 2014)
- Max Frost, White Lies (Atlantic Records, 2014)
- The Young Punx, Supersonic (MofoHifi, 2014)
- Birdee, The Way It Is (Nurvous, 2014)
- Irish Steph, Breathe (La Valigetta, 2014)
- Crystal Bats, Falling in Love (2014)
- Mike Mago, The Show (Ministry of Sound, 2013)
- Lemaitre, Splitting Colors (Substellar, 2013)
- The Supermen Lovers, Moments (Lafesse Records, 2013)
- Ruckus Roboticus, The Phantoms Theme (Dance or Die Records, 2013)
- Marius, Come With Me (Non Records, 2012)
- Speech Debelle, I'm With It (Big Dada Recordings, 2012)
- Aeroplane – Feat. Jamie Principle, In Her Eyes (Aeropop, 2012)
- The Noisettes, Winner (Universal, 2012)
- Combostar, Free (La Valigetta, 2012)
- Speakers, And Her Too (Virgin Records, 2012)
- The Knocks & Fred Falke, Geronimo (Kitsune, 2012)
- Roborton (Rob Da Bank & Tom Middleton) – Feat. Au Revoir Simone, Paganini Rocks, (Sunday Best Recordings, 2011)
- Teenage Bad Girl, Keep Up With You (Citizen Records, 2011)
- Matt Samuels, Love Begins (Tallroom Records, 2011)
- Spiller, Pigeonman's Revenge (Nano, 2011)
- Geyster, A Change for the Better (17:44 Records, 2011)
- Pierre De La Touché, Song of The Sirens (GrooveTraxx, 2011)
- SomethingALaMode, Show Me (SoundALaMode, 2011)
- The Swiss, Double or Nothing (Modular, 2011)
- Blende, One Sided (La Bombe, 2011)
- Phonat, Set Me Free (MofoHifi, 2010)
- Ocelot, Beating Hearts (Wall of Sound, 2010)
- Stretch & Vern, I'm Alive (Ministry of Sound, 2010)
- Human Life, In It Together (Lifex, 2010)
- Jean Jacques Smoothie, 2 People (Bargrooves, 2010)
- Bright Light, Bright Light, Love Part II (Aztec Records, 2010)
- Shena, Nasty Little Rumour (Hed Kandi, 2010)
- Burns & Fred Falke, You Stopped Loving Me (Destruction Records, 2010)
- Jam Xpress, Gotcha Feeling (Onelove, 2010)
- VV Brown, Shark in the Water (Universal Island Records, 2009)
- The Plastiscines, Another Kiss (Because Music, 2009)
- Don Diablo, I Am Not From France (Sellout Sessions, 2009)
- Del Marquis (Scissor Sisters), Runaround (Guitsonic Music, 2009)
- The Amplid, Bernadette (Tracy Recordings, 2009)
- Team Waterpolo, Room 44 (Sony Music, 2009)
- Boy Crisis, Fountain of Youth (B-Unique Records, 2009)
- Bestrack, Wishmaker (Bouchemiture Recordings, 2009)
- The Phantoms Revenge, Absolute Ego Riot (Idiot House, 2008)
- Basement Jaxx, Never Say Never (2014)
- One Direction, You & I (2014)
- Miley Cyrus, Adore You (2014)
- Calvin Harris, I Need Your Love (2013)
- Michael Jackson, Remember The Time (2013)
- Michael Jackson, Wanna Be Starting Something (2013)
- Justin Bieber, As Long As You Love Me (2012)
- Riva Starr & Fatboy Slim, Get Naked (2012)
- Kate Bush, Running Up That Hill (2012)
- Burial, Shell of Light (2012)
- Switch, I Still Love You (2011)
- Gorillaz, Stylo (2010)
- Moullinex, Lover in Me (2010)
- Basement Jaxx, Raindrops (2009)
- Thony Ritz, What I Am (2008)
- Heads We Dance, My Heart Is Set on You (2008)
- Footsteps (2011)
- F.U.B.A.R (2011)
- Los Angeles (2011)
- Missing You – Feat Ad-Apt (2010)
- Airwave (2010)
- Micheal & Me (2010)
- "The Progression Playlist | Louis La Roche X Frank & Oak" (2014)
- Scenery Mixtape, Part 6 (THE END) (August 2014)
- Scenery Mixtape, Part 5 (May 2013)
- Scenery Mixtape, Part 4 (July 2012)
- Scenery Mixtape, Part 3 (July 2011)
- Scenery Mixtape, Part 2 (June 2011)
- Scenery Mixtape, Part 1 (May 2011)
- Crystal Bats, Falling in Love (Co-production, credited Brett Ewels, 2014)
- IMO Records. http://www.imorecords.co.uk/house-2/house-artists/louis-la-roche-biography/ "Louis La Roche Biography"], IMO Records Retrieved on 8 March 2011.
- The Guardian. http://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/jan/04/new-band-louis-la-roche "Louis La Roche - New Band Of The Day"], The Guardian' Retrieved on 21 November 2014.
- Bandcamp. https://iamlouislaroche.bandcamp.com/album/dusty-cassette-ep "Louis La Roche - Dusty Cassette EP", Bandcamp Retrieved on 19 November 2014.
- Pete Tong Radio 1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04ybprl "Pete Tong Radio 1 show 23/01/15", BBC Radio 1 Retrieved on 23 January 2015.
- Huw Stephens Radio 1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04xnnyf "Huw Stephens Radio 1 show 21/01/15", BBC Radio 1 Retrieved on 22 January 2015.
- Arena Riga. http://www.arenariga.com/en/pasakumi/detailed/?events_id=16484 "Kylie Minogue Kiss Me Once", Arena Riga Retrieved on 19 November 2014.
- Louis La Roche BBC Radio 1 Show. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0638hx5 "BBC Introducing: Louis La Roche", BBC Radio 1 Retrieved on 13 August 2015.