|Born||17 June 1973|
|Spouse||Béatrice Leterrier (m.)|
Louis Leterrier (French: [lwi lətɛʁje]; born 17 June 1973) is a French film director and producer. Best known for his work in action films, he directed the first two Transporter films (2002–2005), Unleashed (2005), The Incredible Hulk (2008), Clash of the Titans (2010), Now You See Me (2013) and the streaming television series The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (2019).
Leterrier was born in Paris, the son of director François Leterrier and costume designer Catherine Leterrier (née Fabius). He is the nephew of politician Laurent Fabius and antiquarian François Fabius. He was guided artistically by his mother. Leterrier was at first a drummer for a music group before experimenting with short films. At the age of 18, after some training in advertising and publicity, he left France to study cinema at the Tisch School of the Arts at New York University.
In 1997, he assisted Jean-Pierre Jeunet on the set of Alien Resurrection. On returning to France, he worked with Luc Besson on the production of commercials for Club Internet and L'Oréal as well as on the film Joan of Arc. He also collaborated, as the second assistant director, with Alain Chabat on the production of Astérix & Obélix: Mission Cléopâtre (2002).
Later in 2002, Louis Leterrier directed The Transporter, an action movie starring Jason Statham. Although the US release lists him as artistic director and Corey Yuen as director, the opening credits of the European release grant him directorial credit and list Yuen as action director. Leterrier later entered the so-called "Besson stable" – a group of directors working on films produced by or associated with Luc Besson – alongside Chris Nahon and Pierre Morel. He directed Jet Li in Unleashed, his solo debut feature, a full-length martial arts film (2004). Luc Besson then entrusted him with directorial control of Transporter 2, set this time in Miami.
In 2008, as part of a wave of French directors employed in Hollywood, he directed his first big-budget American film, The Incredible Hulk. His next project, a remake of the 1981 Clash of the Titans produced by Warner Bros., was released on 2 April 2010. Leterrier had mentioned that he would like to create a Clash of the Titans franchise, should the latest film prove to be successful. However, in June 2010, Jonathan Liebesman was named as director of the sequel, leaving Leterrier's involvement in future films in doubt.
Leterrier directed the spy comedy film Grimsby (2016), written by, and starring, Sacha Baron Cohen. In March 2015, Deadline Hollywood reported that Leterrier was in talks to direct the shark thriller film In the Deep, for Sony Pictures Entertainment. However, on 3 June 2015, TheWrap reported that Leterrier had exited the film due to creative differences and the reduction of the previously told budget.
In 2019, Leterrier directed the first season of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance for Netflix, a prequel series to The Dark Crystal consisting of ten hour-long episodes, consisting entirely of puppetry and special effects.
In 2022, Leterrier announced that he will be directing Fast X, the tenth installment of the Fast & Furious franchise, replacing series director Justin Lin, which is produced by and starring Vin Diesel.
|2002||The Transporter||Co-director with Corey Yuen|
|2008||The Incredible Hulk|
|2010||Clash of the Titans|
|2013||Now You See Me|
|2023||Fast X||Replaced Justin Lin|
- Strays (2023)
|2002||Asterix & Obelix: Mission Cleopatra||Ouhécharlis|
|2010||Clash of the Titans||Kraken||Uncredited role|
|2019||The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance||Yes||Yes||10 episodes|
|1992||The Son of the Mekong||Trainee|
|1997||Alien Resurrection||On-set production assistant|
|1998||Restons groupés||Second assistant director|
|1999||The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc||Production assistant|
|2002||Asterix & Obelix: Mission Cleopatra||Second assistant director|
|The Transporter||Artistic director|
- Soghomonian, Talia (12 January 2011). "Louis Leterrier's Wife Béatrice to Direct WRECKING BALL; Eva Mendes to Star". Collider. Valnet Inc. Retrieved 10 March 2022.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (23 March 2015). "Louis Letterier Transporter". BD. Retrieved 23 March 2015.
- "The Gods Should Fear Perseus' Plans for 'Clash' Trilogy". BloodyDisgusting.
- "EXCLUSIVE: 'Clash Of The Titans' Director Louis Leterrier Sees Franchise Potential, Hints At A Trilogy". MTV. Archived from the original on 24 January 2010.
- "Liebesman Confirmed for Clash of the Titans 2". ComingSoon.net. 31 August 2010.
- Kit, Borys (3 December 2013). "Louis Leterrier to Direct Sacha Baron Cohen in Spy Spoof 'Grimsby'". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (23 March 2015). "Louis Letterier In Swim On Sony Shark Tale 'In The Deep'". Deadline. Retrieved 23 March 2015.
- Geier, Thom (3 June 2015). "Sony's Shark Movie 'In the Deep' Loses Director Louis Leterrier (Exclusive)". Thewrap.com. Retrieved 15 June 2016.
- Vary, Adam; Donnelly, Matt; Jackson, Angelique (2 May 2022). "Fast X: Louis Leterrier to Replace Justin Lin as Director". Variety. Retrieved 2 May 2022.
- Donnelly, Matt; Vary, Adam. "'Fast X': Louis Leterrier to Replace Justin Lin as Director". Variety. Retrieved 5 May 2022.