Leterrier in Paris, July 22, 2008
June 17, 1973 |
Louis Leterrier (born June 17, 1973) is a French film director whose films include the first two Transporter films, Unleashed (2005), The Incredible Hulk (2008), Clash of the Titans (2010) and Now You See Me (2013).
Life and career
Leterrier was born in Paris, the son of director François Leterrier. He was guided artistically by his mother. Leterrier was at first a drummer for a music group before experimenting with short films. At the age of 18, after some training in advertising and publicity, he left France to study cinema at the Tisch School of the Arts at New York University.
In 1997, he assisted Jean-Pierre Jeunet on the set of Alien Resurrection. On returning to France, he worked with Luc Besson on the production of commercials for Club Internet and L'Oréal as well as on the film Joan of Arc. He also collaborated, as the second assistant director, with Alain Chabat on the production of Astérix & Obélix: Mission Cléopâtre (2002).
Later in 2002, Louis Leterrier directed The Transporter, an action movie starring Jason Statham. Although the US release lists him as artistic director and Corey Yuen as director, the opening credits of the European release grant him directorial credit and list Yuen as action director. Leterrier later entered the so-called "Besson stable" - a group of directors working on films produced by or associated with Luc Besson - alongside Chris Nahon and Pierre Morel. He directed Jet Li in Unleashed, his solo debut feature, a full-length martial arts film (2004). Luc Besson then entrusted him with directorial control of Transporter 2, set this time in Miami.
In 2008, as part of the current wave of the French directors employed in Hollywood, he directed his first big-budget American film, The Incredible Hulk. His most recent project is a remake of the 1981 Clash of the Titans produced by Warner Bros. It was released on April 2, 2010. Leterrier had mentioned that he would like to create a Clash of the Titans franchise should the latest film prove to be successful. However, in June 2010, Jonathan Liebesman was named as director of the sequel, leaving Leterrier's involvement in future films in doubt.
In December 2013, Leterrier was set to direct the spy comedy film Grimsby written by Sacha Baron Cohen, in which Cohen will also lead the cast. In March 2015 Deadline.com reported Leterier, is in talk to direct the Shark thriller film In the Deep, for Sony Pictures Entertainment.
Filmography as director
- The Transporter (2002)
- Unleashed (2005)
- Transporter 2 (2005)
- The Incredible Hulk (2008)
- Clash of the Titans (2010)
- Now You See Me (2013)
- Grimsby (2016)
- Fleming Jr., Mike (23 March 2015). "Louis Letterier Transporter". BD. Retrieved 23 March 2015.
- "The Gods Should Fear Perseus' Plans for 'Clash' Trilogy". BloodyDisgusting.
- "EXCLUSIVE: 'Clash Of The Titans' Director Louis Leterrier Sees Franchise Potential, Hints At A Trilogy". MTV.
- "Liebesman Confirmed for Clash of the Titans 2".
- Kit, Borys (3 December 2013). "Louis Leterrier to Direct Sacha Baron Cohen in Spy Spoof 'Grimsby'". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (23 March 2015). "Louis Letterier In Swim On Sony Shark Tale ‘In The Deep’". Deadline. Retrieved 23 March 2015.