||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Louis Manzo (born February 28, 1955, Jersey City, New Jersey) is an American Democratic Party politician who served in the New Jersey General Assembly from 2004 to 2008, where he represented the 31st legislative district, and who ran unsuccessfully for Mayor of Jersey City, New Jersey.
Manzo unsuccessfully ran for mayor of Jersey City five times in the following elections.
|1992||Bret Schundler (R)|
|1993||Bret Schundler (R)|
|2001||Glenn D. Cunningham (D)|
|2004||Jerramiah T. Healy (D)|
|2009||Jerramiah T. Healy (D)|
2009 race for Mayor of Jersey City
In December 2008, Manzo announced that he would wage an uphill campaign for mayor of Jersey City against incumbent Mayor Jerramiah Healy. Though finishing in second place in a field of five candidates, Manzo was unable to force a runoff against Healy. Manzo won 26% of the vote, compared to 53% for Healy.
Arrest on corruption charges
Manzo was one of 44 people arrested on July 23, 2009, as part of Operation Bid Rig, a joint operation of the FBI, IRS, and the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of New Jersey into corruption and money laundering. Manzo was charged with taking $27,500 in corrupt cash payments for use in his failed Jersey City mayoral campaign. Manzo was charged with two counts of extortion under the federal Hobbs Act, but in May 2010, U.S. District Court Judge Jose L. Linares dismissed the charges, ruling that the act only applies to elected officials. Manzo then faced two counts of violating the Travel Act, charging him with crossing state lines to commit a crime, and two counts of failing to report to authorities that others were collecting bribes. On February 17, 2012, all remaining charges against Manzo were dismissed by Linares.
Manzo filed suit to have his legal costs reimbursed by the government, but a court denied his claim.
- "Election '09: Healy Wins, Two Council Seats Head to Runoff". Jersey City Independent. 2009-05-13. Retrieved 2009-05-19.
- "N.J. corruption probe: Full list of politicians, religious leaders charged". The Star-Ledger. 2009-07-23. Retrieved 2009-07-24.
- Conte, Michaelangelo (2012-01-26). "Former Jersey City pol says corruption charges against him part of effort to elect Christie governor". The Jersey Journal. Retrieved 2012-02-04.
- "Federal judge dismisses all charges against former Jersey City Assemblyman". The Jersey Journal. 2012-02-17. Retrieved 2012-03-21.
- Sherman, Ted (26 March 2013). "Lou Manzo, whose N.J. corruption case was thrown out, loses appeal for legal fees". Star-Ledger. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- McMahon, Josh (April 12, 2014). "Anger at Chris Christie clouds author's quest for vindication: Book review". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- Dreyfuss,, Bob and Barbara (April 30, 2014). "A New Book Says Chris Christie Misused His Power as US Attorney". The Nation. Retrieved 2014-04-30.