Nix with the Houston Texans in 2014
|No. 74 Jacksonville Jaguars|
|Date of birth:||July 31, 1991|
|Place of birth:||Jacksonville, Florida|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||331 lb (150 kg)|
|High school:||Jacksonville (FL) Raines|
|NFL Draft:||2014 / Round: 3 / Pick: 83|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics|
Louis Anthony Nix III (born July 31, 1991) is an American football nose tackle for the Jacksonville Jaguars in the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Houston Texans in the third round of the 2014 NFL Draft. He played college football at Notre Dame. Nix calls himself "Irish Chocolate."
High school career
A native of Jacksonville, Florida, Nix attended William M. Raines High School, where he played football, basketball and competed in track & field. In high school football, he was an All-State defensive lineman. He recorded 50 tackles and 10 sacks as senior in 2009, and was named an all-First Coast pick as defensive lineman by the Florida Times-Union of Jacksonville. He tallied 19 combined sacks as a sophomore and junior in 2007 and 2008 helped Raines High School to 7–4 record and appearance in Florida state playoffs as sophomore in 2007. He also played basketball at William Raines. He was selected to play in the 2010 Under Armour All-America Game in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Regarded as a four-star recruit by Rivals.com, Nix was ranked as the No. 7 defensive tackle of his class. He accepted a scholarship offer from Notre Dame over offers from Miami (FL), Florida State and Florida.
After not playing as a freshman in 2010, Nix started 11 games as a sophomore in 2011, recording 45 tackles. In 2012, Nix started 11 out of 13 games, recording 50 tackles, including seven and a half for a loss, and two sacks. On December 17, 2012, Nix announced he would return to Notre Dame for his senior season.
In 2013, Nix started the first 7 games of the season, before sitting out games against Air Force and Navy as he was dealing with knee tendinitis. He returned the following week in a game against Pittsburgh. On November 21, 2013, after having arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his knee, it was announced he would miss the remainder of the season plus the bowl game. He finished his senior season with 27 tackles, including two for loss.
2014 NFL Draft
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 2 3⁄8 in||331 lb||5.38 s||1.87 s||3.07 s||4.94 s||8.01 s||25 1⁄2 in||8 ft 1 in||24 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine except 40-yard dash, bench press and 3-cone drill from Pro Day|
On May 16, 2014, Nix was signed to a $2.85 million contract by the Texans, including a signing bonus of $575,252. Nix underwent a second knee surgery during the off-season and missed workouts as well as most of training camp. His rookie season prematurely ended after he underwent a third knee surgery on September 24, 2014. He was unable to play any games during his time with Houston. Nix was released by the Texans on September 4, 2015.
New York Giants
On September 6, 2015, Nix was claimed off waivers by the New York Giants. On September 8, 2015, Nix failed his physical and was waived. On September 9, 2015, Nix was re-signed by the Giants. He was waived again on November 7, 2015. On November 10, 2015, he was re-signed to the Giants' practice squad. On January 6, 2016, Nix signed a reserve/future contract with the Giants. On September 3, 2016, he was released by the Giants.
- Notre Dame's big advantage: Notre Dame's Louis Nix is larger than life
- Nix brings larger-than-life personality to Irish: Nose guard/YouTube star finally finding his comfort zone in South Bend
- UA All-American Nix reaches potential
- Louis Nix - Yahoo Sports
- It’s official: Martin and Nix will return for 2013
- Nix shows wisdom in returning to Notre Dame
- Nix undergoes knee surgery
- "Notre Dame's Nix signs with agent, heads to NFL". Chicago Tribune. December 6, 2013.
- Houston Texans draft defensive tackle Louis Nix
- *Louis Nix, III | Notre Dame, DT : 2014 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile
- "Texans lock up two more picks, three remain unsigned". Houston Chronicle. May 16, 2014.
- Salomone, Dan (September 6, 2015). "Giants awarded DT Louis Nix & CB Asa Jackson off waivers". Giants.com. Retrieved September 7, 2015.
- Sinclair, Valentine, Alex, Ed (September 8, 2015). "Giants' roster moves: Japser Brinkley signed, Asa Jackson waived, Louis Nix flunks physical". BigBlueView.com. Retrieved September 8, 2015.
- Eisen, Michael (September 9, 2015). "Dwayne Harris switches sides in Giants-Cowboys rivalry". Giants.com. Retrieved September 10, 2015.
- Patra, Kevin (November 7, 2015). "Giants activate Jason Pierre-Paul". NFL.com. Retrieved November 7, 2015.
- Eisen, Michael (November 10, 2015). "Giants add DT Montori Hughes to active roster; Johnathan Hankins to IR". Giants.com. Retrieved December 10, 2015.
- Raanan, Jordan (January 6, 2016). "Giants sign defensive tackle Louis Nix to reserve/future contract.". NJ.com. Retrieved January 26, 2016.
- Eisen, Michael. "New York Giants announce 20 roster moves". Giants.com.
- Czarda, Stephen (September 5, 2016). "Redskins Add Wes Saxton, Louis Nix III To Practice Squad". Redskins.com. Retrieved September 5, 2016.
- Czarda, Stephen. "Kedric Golston Placed On Injured Reserve, Matt Ioannidis On Active Roster". Redskins.com.
- "Jaguars Place DT Roy Miller On I.R. & Sign DT Louis Nix To Practice Squad".
- "Jaguars Sign DT Louis Nix To Futures Deal". NFLTradeRumors.com. January 4, 2017.