He was born in Plainpalais, near Geneva. After studying theology in Geneva, Strasbourg and Bonn, he was pastor of the Geneva National Church in Chêne-Bougeries, then from 1872, Professor of Old Testament in Geneva.
The translation of the Old Testament, commissioned by the Vénérable Compagnie des Pasteurs de Genève, was published in two volumes in 1871 (Meusel has 1874 as the publication date), followed by the New Testament, translated as a private venture, in 1880. The text was then reviewed by experts.
A revised edition was commissioned for and published by the British and Foreign Bible Society in 1910.
- Unabridged book-by-book 1910 revision of Segond's translation of the Bible vargenau.free.fr
- Various options for downloading or searching www.awmach.org
- Free audiobook of Louis Segond's Version at www.bibvoice.org
- Bible Louis Segond Bible en français, lecture en ligne.
- Works by or about Louis Segond at Internet Archive
- Works by Louis Segond at LibriVox (public domain audiobooks)
|This article about a theologian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a translator from Switzerland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a translator of the Bible is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|