|United States Ambassador to
the United Kingdom
July 10, 2009 – April 3, 2013
|Preceded by||Robert H. Tuttle|
|Succeeded by||Matthew Barzun|
November 19, 1937 |
St Louis, Missouri, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Marjorie (née Sachs)|
|Alma mater||University of Michigan
Washington University School of Law
|Profession||attorney, investment banker|
Louis B. Susman (born November 19, 1937) is an American lawyer, retired investment banker, and the former United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom. Nominated by President Barack Obama, he was confirmed by the Senate on July 10, 2009, and sworn in by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
Prior to his appointment, Susman was the managing director and vice chairman of Citigroup Corporate and Investment Banking. He practiced law for 27 years and was a senior partner at the St. Louis-based law firm of Thompson & Mitchell, focusing on mergers and acquisitions and general corporate law. Susman was appointed to the U.S. Advisory Commission on Public Diplomacy by Ronald Reagan in 1988, and served as a director of the Center for National Policy in Washington, D.C.
Susman served on the Board of Directors and Management Committee for the St. Louis Cardinals baseball franchise from 1975 to 1989. He retired in 2009 as vice chairman of Citigroup Global Markets in Chicago.
Susman is a longtime and prolific fundraiser for Democratic Party candidates, including Obama and 2004 presidential nominee John Kerry. According to the Agence France-Presse (AFP), "US ambassador residences in London and Paris have long been retreats for presidents' wealthy friends. William Farish, a multimillionaire Texan, and Robert Tuttle, a California car dealer - both top financial backers - served as ambassadors to London during the Bush years.
- Ambassador Biography; Embassy of the United States; 2014
- Carol Felsenthal (February 10, 2010). "Our Man in London". Chicago magazine. Retrieved August 30, 2010.
- AFP staff (July 10, 2009). "US Senate approves key Obama envoys". Google News. AFP. Retrieved August 30, 2010.
- Toby Harnden (May 21, 2009). "Barack Obama to appoint Louis Susman American ambassador in London". Daily Telegraph (UK). Retrieved August 30, 2010.
- Tim Shipman (February 21, 2009). "Louis Susman: Obama's choice as London envoy: Barack Obama might very well owe his national political career to Louis Susman.". Daily Telegraph (UK). Retrieved August 30, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Louis Susman.|
Robert H. Tuttle
|U.S. Ambassador to the United Kingdom