|Member of the Ohio Senate
from the 8th District
January 3, 2017
|Preceded by||Bill Seitz|
|Member of the Ohio House of Representatives
from the 30th district
September 14, 2011 – December 31, 2016
|Preceded by||Robert Mecklenborg|
|Succeeded by||Bill Seitz|
September 28, 1949 |
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
|Residence||Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.|
|Alma mater||United States Naval Academy, Syracuse University, Harvard University|
Louis Terhar (born September 28, 1949) is a Republican member of the Ohio Senate, representing the 8th district. The district includes portions of Hamilton County. Formerly, he served in the Ohio House of Representatives from 2011 to 2016.
Life and career
Terhar is a graduate of the United States Naval Academy, Syracuse University, and Harvard University. He is the managing director for Strategic Planning Advisors LLC. He also teaches in Xavier University's Executive MBA program. He is married to his wife, Debe, who is president of the State Board of Education of Ohio. They have four children and four grandchildren.
Prior to his time in public office, he served as President and Chief Executive Officer of Integris Metals and The David J. Joseph Company.
In 2011, Terhar was appointed to the Ohio House of Representatives after incumbent Robert Mecklenborg resigned over a drink-driving incident. He was sworn in on September 14, 2011. Currently, he is serving on the committees of Economic and Small Business Development; Judiciary and Ethics; and State Government and Elections.
Terhar won his first full term to his seat in 2012, defeating Democrat Steven Newsome with 69.62% of the vote. He won a second term in 2014 with 74% of the vote.
In 2016, Terhar announced he would seek the 8th district of the Ohio Senate to succeed Bill Seitz, who was prevented from running for re-election by term limits and in turn planned on running for Terhar's House seat. Facing no opposition for the Republican nomination, Terhar defeated Democrat Mary Lierman with 63% of the vote.
Terhar was sworn into office on January 3, 2017.
- "Louis Terhar, Representative". Ohio House of Representatives. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- "Ohio House of Representatives, Louis Terhar". Ohio House of Representatives. Retrieved 2013-09-13.
- "Debe Terhar - Candidate for the Ohio State Board of Education from District 4 - About Debe". DebeTerhar.com (campaign site). 2013-08-05. Retrieved 2013-09-13.
- "Louis F. Terhar". Forbes. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- "Louis Terhar named to replace Mecklenborg as state rep". Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- "Mecklenborg replacement Terhar sworn in". Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- "Our Campaigns - OH State House 30 Race - Nov 04, 2014". Retrieved 2017-01-21.
- "Our Campaigns - OH State Senate 08 Race - Nov 08, 2016". Retrieved 2017-01-21.