Louis Vasquez (American football)
Vasquez in 2013
|No. 65 Denver Broncos|
|Date of birth:||April 11, 1987|
|Place of birth:||Corsicana, Texas|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||325 lb (147 kg)|
|High school:||Corsicana (TX)|
|NFL draft:||2009 / Round: 3 / Pick: 78|
|Career highlights and awards|
Career NFL statistics as of 2014
|Stats at NFL.com|
Louis Nicholas Vasquez (born April 11, 1987) is an American football guard for the Denver Broncos of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Texas Tech, and was drafted by the San Diego Chargers in the third round of the 2009 NFL Draft.
College awards and honors
- 2007 All-Big 12 honorable mention
- 2008 All-Big 12 second-team
- 2008 Rivals.com second team All-American
- 2008 Associated Press third team All-American
San Diego Chargers
At the 2009 NFL Combine, Vasquez bench pressed 225 pounds 39 times. His 39 repetitions were the highest of any participant at the combine. Vasquez was drafted in the 3rd round (78th overall) by the San Diego Chargers.
During the Chargers' training camp, Vasquez competed for the right guard starting position with veteran Kynan Forney. Vasquez won the job, and Forney (who was dealing with a neck injury at the time) was later released from the team. Vasquez became the sole rookie in the starting lineup. Over the next three seasons, however, he played mostly at right tackle.
Vasquez was selected to be in the 2014 Pro Bowl after not allowing a single sack in 2013. He couldn't play due to the Broncos appearance in Super Bowl XLVIII. He was ranked #97 in the NFL Top 100 Players of 2014.
- "ESPN Profile". ESPN.com.
- "2007 All-Big 12 Football Awards Announced".
- "2008 All-Big 12 Football Awards Announced".
- "Rivals.com 2008 All-America Teams".
- "Associated Press names 2008 All-America Team".
- "Texas Tech’s Vasquez dominates O-line bench press".
- "2009 team preview: San Diego Chargers".
- "CHARGERS NOTES: Team changes mind, keeps undrafted Spillman".
- Broncos beef up offensive line with Louis Vasquez