2016 Australian Paralympic Team portrait of Ellery
4 January 1977 |
Port Moresby, Papau New Guinea
Louise Ellery (born 4 January 1977) is an Australian Paralympic athlete, Commonwealth Games gold medalist and former world record holder in F32 Shot put for elite athletes with a disability. At the 2016 Rio Paralympics, she won a bronze medal.
Ellery was born in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea. She suffered a Traumatic brain injury following a car crash in 1998. She competes in the F32 class (severe to moderate quadriplegia, but with athletes usually able to functionally propel a manual wheelchair). In Sydney in 2005, Ellery broke the world record in seated shot put at the National Championships.
In 2017, a short film on the life of Louise was released titled "With Little Hope'.
At the 2004 Athletics Paralympics, she finished sixth in the Women's Shot Put F32-34/52-53. She finished again in the Women's Shot Put F32-34/52-53 at the 2008 Beijing Paralympics. At the 2012 London Games, she won the silver medal in the Women's Shot Put F32-34 with a throw of 5.90 m. She finished eighth in the Women's Club Throw F31/32/51. At the 2016 Summer Paralympics, Ellery won Bronze in the Women's Shot Put F32 with a throw of 4.19.
IPC World Championships
At the 2011 IPC Athletics World Championships in Christchurch, she won the bronze medal in the Women's Shot Put F32-34 with a throw of 6.31m and finished fifth in the Women's Club Throw F31/32/51. She did not medal at the 2013 IPC Athletics World Championships in Lyon. At the 2015 IPC Athletics World Championships in Doha, she won the bronze medal in the Women's Shot Put F32 with a throw of 4.53m. At the 2017 World Para Athletics Championships in London, England, she finished eighth in the Women's Shot Put F32 with a throw of 4.31.
Ellery won gold medal in the women’s F32–34/52/53 shot put, as a competitor in the F32 class, again breaking the world record with a throw of 6.17 metres. This was Australia’s first gold medal in the track and field events at the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games which took place at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Delhi.
- Women's Shot Put - F32 - Standings, rio2016.com, 18 September 2016
- "Australian Paralympic Athletics Team announced". Australian Paralympic Committee News, 2 August 2016. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Louise Ellery". International Paralympic Committee website. Retrieved 25 July 2017.
- "With Little Hope: Film based on Paralympian Louise Ellery premieres at Canberra Short Film Festival". ABC News. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- "Louise Ellery". International Paralympic Committee Athletics profiles. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- "Doha 2015". Athletics Australia website. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- "Shot put gold for Ellery | APC Corporate". Paralympic.org.au. 2010-10-07. Archived from the original on 2012-05-06. Retrieved 2011-12-21.
- "Individual Athlete Program". ACT Academy of Sport. Retrieved 1 November 2015.