She graduated from Birmingham University, and University of Wales in 1977. She was commissioned by the Birmingham Arts Lab, and was Yorkshire Television Fellow, at University of Sheffield. From 2004 to 2006, she was Royal Literary Fund Fellow at Edge Hill University.
- 1977 International Student Playscript Award for Lucy.
- 1982 George Devine Award, for Salonika.
- 1985 J.T. Grein Award
- Glasshouse, Edinburgh, 1977
- Want-Ad, Birmingham Rep, Birmingham, 1977
- Tissue, Belgrade Theatre, Coventry, 1978
- Hearing, Birmingham Rep, Birmingham, 1979
- Lucy, Old Vic, Bristol, 1979
- Flaws, Sheffield University Drama Studio, Sheffield, 1980
- House Wives, Derby, 1981
- Salonika, Royal Court Theatre Upstairs, London, 1982
- Falkland Sound/Voces De Malvinas, Royal Court Theatre, London, 1983
- Golden Girls Other Place, Stratford-upon-Avon, 1984
- Real Estate, Tricycle Theatre, London, 1984
- Beauty and the Beards, Old Vic Theatre, London, 1985
- Beauty And The Beast, Playhouse, Liverpool, 1985
- Goat, Croydon, 1986
- Diplomatic Wives, Watford Place Theatre, Hertford, 1989
- Adam Was A Gardener, Minerva Theatre, Chichester, 1991
- Hawks And Doves, Nuffield Theatre, Southampton, 1992
- Spare Parts, Studio Theatre, Sacramento, 1992
- Like To Live, New York, 1992
- Another Nine Months, ew End Theatre, London, 1995
- The Statue Of Liberty, Playhouse, Derby, 1997 
- Gabrielle H. Cody, Evert Sprinchorn, eds. (2007). The Columbia encyclopedia of modern drama, Volume 2. Columbia University Press. ISBN 978-0-231-14424-7.