4 June 1968|
|Residence||Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii,|
|Alma mater||University of Cádiz|
|Website||Ortega on the website of the University of Hawaii|
Lourdes Ortega (born 1968) is a professor of applied linguistics at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. Her research focuses on second language acquisition and second language writing. She is noted for her work on second language acquisition and for recommending that syntactic complexity need to be measured multidimensionally.
Ortega received her Master of Arts in English as a second language in 1995 and her Doctor of Philosophy in Second language acquisition in 2000 from the University of Hawaii at Manoa. She taught applied linguistics in graduate programs at Georgetown University between 1999 and 2004.
She is the Currents in Language Learning Series Editor & Associate General Editor of the Language Learning: A Journal of Research in Language Studies, a peer-reviewed academic journal.
Ortega is noted in the field of second language acquisition for her paper entitled "Towards an Organic Approach to Investigating CAF in Instructed SLA: The Case of Complexity", published in Applied Linguistics in which she claimed along with John Norris that syntactic complexity need to be measured multidimensionally.
- Understanding Second Language Acquisition. (2009)
- "Effectiveness of L2 instruction: A research synthesis and quantitative meta‐analysis." (2000)
- "The role of implicit negative feedback in SLA: Models and recasts in Japanese and Spanish." (1998)
- "Planning and focus on form in L2 oral performance." (1999)
- "Syntactic complexity measures and their relationship to L2 proficiency: A research synthesis of college‐level L2 writing." (2003)
- "Towards an organic approach to investigating CAF in instructed SLA: The case of complexity." (2009)
- "Ortega - University of Hawaii at Manoa". Hawaii.edu. 17 September 2018.
- "Lourdes Ortega's Homepage". Hawaii.edu. 17 September 2018.
- "Lourdes Ortega's Homepage". Hawaii.edu. 2018.
- "Language Learning: A Journal of Research in Language Studies". Wiley.com. 6 October 2018.
- "Towards an Organic Approach to Investigating CAF in Instructed SLA: The Case of Complexity". Applied Linguistics. 2009.
- "The ACTFL-NFMLTA/MLJ Paul Pimsleur Award for research in foreign language education". Actfl.org. 2018.
- Manchón, Rosa (2009). Understanding Second Language Acquisition. Routledge Taylor & Francis Group. p. 320. ISBN 9780340905593.