|Single by Godsmack|
|from the album The Oracle|
|Released||July 12, 2010|
|Recorded||Serenity West Studios, Hollywood, California, 2009|
|Genre||Heavy metal, Alternative metal|
|Producer(s)||Sully Erna, Dave Fortman|
|Godsmack singles chronology|
Shannon Larkin mentioned that "Love-Hate-Sex-Pain" is one of his favorite songs from The Oracle, stating "Love-Hate-Sex-Pain is special to me because I feel it has a different sound for the band, and it was a song that Tony and I put together many years ago, and honestly never imagined it being picked for a Godsmack record. When Sully put the lyrics and melody to it, it was like seeing a child grow up."
- Digital single
- CD single
|1.||"Love-Hate-Sex-Pain" (Radio Edit)||Sully Erna||4:20|
|2.||"Love-Hate-Sex-Pain" (Album Version)||Sully Erna||5:15|
The song has received highly positive reviews. Chris Akin from PitRiff.com praised the song, stating "This song might be the closest thing to a "twist" that you get on The Oracle. A rare balladic number, this song showcases a much more musical direction than Godsmack has ever taken in the past. Sounding more like a mid-tempoed Alice In Chains song than what they've been known for", then he added, "Love-Hate-Sex-Pain could very well be the song that reaches the most people." Reviewer Greg Maki from Live-Metal.Net described the song as "one of The Oracle’s bright spots." Reviewer Aaron Titan from 411mania.com commented that " This was one of the other songs that the band leaked out ahead of the album’s release and it’s kind of a different route for Godsmack.", adding "Very introspective feel to it, and it kind of jams with these Alice in Chains-style melancholy guitar chords that reek of despair until it hits the pendulum chorus that has some of the most simple yet interesting guitar work we’ve gotten from Tony Rombola in quite a while."
"Love-Hate-Sex-Pain" climbed the Billboard Alternative Songs, the Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks and the Billboard Rock Songs, peaking at twenty-four, two, and five respectively, making it the band's 19th Top 10 hit at active rock radio. Recently, the single debuted on the Billboard Heatseekers Songs and peaked at number twenty-three.
With "Love-Hate-Sex-Pain" appearing on the Billboard Alternative Songs, Godsmack stood as the act with the most appearances on the chart without reaching the apex until 2011. The single is Godsmack's 19th charted title at the format. The band has peaked as high as No. 6 with "Voodoo" in 2000. Korn would later break the record in 2011, and they have 21 appearances on the chart as of 2013, as compared to Godsmack's 19 appearances.
|Billboard Rock Songs||5|
|Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks||2|
|Billboard Alternative Songs||24|
|Billboard Heatseekers Songs||23|
- Sully Erna - Vocals, Producer
- Tony Rombola - Lead guitar
- Robbie Merrill - Bass
- Shannon Larkin - Drums
- Dave Fortman - Producer
- "Godsmack Choose Next Single "Love-Hate-Sex-Pain"". The Rawk Pit. 2010-06-10.
- "iTunes Countdown To The Oracle". Godsmack.com. 2010-04-06.
- "Godsmack - The Oracle (Republic Records)". Retrieved 2010-05-03.
- "Live-Metal.Net: CD Reviews - Godsmack - The Oracle". Retrieved 2010-05-03.
- "Music - Godsmack - The Oracle Review". 411mania.com. Retrieved 2010-05-03.
- "Love-Hate-Sex-Pain - Godsmack". Billboard.com. 2010-09-02. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- "BLABBERMOUTH.NET - Godsmack Frontman To Discuss Solo Album On 525 Power Tracks". Blabbermouth.net. 2010-09-02. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- "Chart Beat Thursday: Loretta Lynn, Madonna, Peter Wolf - Chart Beat". Billboard.com. 2010-04-15. Retrieved 2010-04-15.