Love & Lies
|Love & Lies|
|Directed by||Mark Reyes|
|Creative director(s)||Jun Lana|
|Opening theme||"Ngayo'y Naririto" by Jay-R|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of episodes||44 (list of episodes)|
|Camera setup||Multiple-camera setup|
|Running time||30-45 minutes|
|Production company(s)||GMA Entertainment TV|
|Original network||GMA Network|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Original release||April 8– June 7, 2013|
Love & Lies is a 2013 Philippine television drama suspense action series broadcast by GMA Network. Directed by Mark A. Reyes, it stars Richard Gutierrez, Bela Padilla and Michelle Madrigal. It premiered on April 8, 2013 on the network's Telebabad line up replacing Temptation of Wife and worldwide on April 9, 2013 on GMA Pinoy TV. The series concluded on June 7, 2013 with a total of 44 episodes. It was replaced by My Husband's Lover in its timeslot.
Edward Galvez, a Philippine Navy officer gets tangled in a web of lies and conspiracies when an organization kidnaps his wife. As the protagonist discovers the truth behind the crime, he uncovers a treacherous plot that threatens to turn his world upside-down. The true perpetrators of the crime may be closer to home than he dare think. As he thread to the maze of lies, blackmails, double-dealings, and betrayals, everyone becomes a suspect.
Cast and characters
- Lead cast
- Richard Gutierrez as Edward Galvez
- Bela Padilla as Denise Salvador-Galvez
- Michelle Madrigal as Catherine "Cathy" Alcantara-Galvez 
- Supporting cast
- Sid Lucero as Gabriel "Gabby" Romero
- Paolo Contis as Emmanuel "Manny" Perez
- Lloyd Samartino as Ramon Alcantara
- Lara Melissa de Leon as Consuelo Alcantara
- Bobby Andrews as Captain Jose Lorde Villamor
- Luz Valdez as Rosa Galvez
- Miguel Tanfelix as Marco Salvador
- Jeric Gonzales as Ryan Alcantara
- Thea Tolentino as Marissa Rivero-Alcantara
- Guest cast
- Neil Ryan Sese as Ricardo Salvador
- Gerard Pizarras as Ka Fredo
- Ian de Leon as Gardo Mendoza
- Shyr Valdez as Rosanna Rivero-Mendoza
- Aicelle Santos as Ligaya Salvador
- Alessandra de Rossi as Regina Perez
Production and development
The series—a fast-paced suspense-action drama, also dubbed as "suspenserye was conceptualized by RJ Nuevas and developed by Richard Cruz. The two began developing the show under the title Notorious in January and February 2013. The title was changed to Love & Lies during the early stage of production.
The production team picked the Philippine Navy as a major setting for the series. On March 13, 2013, the show's main casts Richard Gutierrez, Paolo Contis together with series' director Mark Reyes visited the Headquarters Philippine Navy (HPN) and paid a courtesy call on the Navy Chief, Vice Admiral Jose Luis M. Alano AFP. Aside from that, Gutierrez and Contis also signed up as Philippine Navy Reservists. On the other hand, Vice Admiral Alano assured the network that the Navy will provide its full support and assistance to the series and said "We look forward to this project in which we can show and highlight what the Philippine Navy is all about." He likewise briefed Gutierrez and Contis about the rigid training and life of a Navy Seal.
The series' director described the show as his "dream project". Regarding the amount of action and drama being laced in the series, Reyes said that "The nearest thing that you can compare it to is Taken. There's a lot of suspense. But at the same time, there's drama that is interwoven with it. The pacing is reminiscent of 24".
The show is designed for a nine-week run, contrary to the usual one season of thirteen weeks. The creative and production team were "committed to tell all, within that time frame," regardless of its performance in the ratings' game. Reyes further stated, "We're geared up for nine weeks and beyond that, it will be hard to pull it off. [...] Unlike other television series that drag on because they rate, these nine-weeks have been planned from beginning to end so the audience will get hooked."
Richard Gutierrez was cast as the series' main protagonist, Edward Galvez. Director Mark Reyes revealed that the actor came first before the concept of the show. Gutierrez had to undergo tactical shooting training [in preparation for the role] ahead of the other cast members. He also immersed himself the Philippine Navy way.
Michelle Madrigal, Sid Lucero and Paolo Contis were cast to play three equally important roles. Madrigal feels pressured, especially her character Cathy Galvez is the lynchpin of the series, said that "My goal for this role is to showcase my capabilities as an actor rather than show more skin."
The character Denise Salvador was initially offered to Lovi Poe. Bela Padilla took over the role. Padilla finds her "kick-ass" character as "[...] very interesting. I would have auditioned for it if it weren't offered to me. Coming from the drama series Magdalena, it's refreshing to do a character who is strong, loud and bubbly." In an interview, Padilla further stated that her character was pegged on a female version of Robin Padilla.
The production began on March 21, 2013. Some of the scenes in the pilot episode were shot in Philippine Navy headquarters in Sangley Point in Cavite City and in BRP Emilio Jacinto (PS 35) Philippine Navy warship. Series' director Reyes described the pilot ala-Crimson Tide. Other locations have also been featured, such as Antipolo, Rizal, Tagaytay, Binondo and in some part of Metro Manila.
The series has generated a generally positive response from critics. Mercy Lejarde, an entertainment writer from the tabloid Balita praised Bela Padilla's acting performances, said that "Lovi Poe's lose is Bela Padilla's gain." Dinno Erece of Show and Tell described the series "Exciting" and "he won't be surprised if the network extends it."
|Vietnam||SNTV SCTV6||Tình yêu và lừa dối||August 20, 2014|
- "Richard Gutierrez stars in Philippine TV's first Suspenserye - TV - GMA Entertainment - Online Home of Kapuso Shows and Stars - Story". Retrieved February 23, 2017.
- "'Love and Lies' cast dishes out on the first suspenserye - TV - GMA Entertainment - Online Home of Kapuso Shows and Stars - Story". Retrieved February 23, 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on June 16, 2013. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- "Bela Padilla about her role on Love and Lies: 'I get to be the girl Robin Padilla in this show'". Retrieved February 23, 2017.
- Cruz, Marinel R. "Bela Padilla doesn't mind being second fiddle". Retrieved February 23, 2017.
- Solis, Lolit. "Sid excited nang maging ama". Retrieved February 23, 2017.
- "Teen stars, thrilled for their roles in 'Love and Lies' - TV - GMA Entertainment - Online Home of Kapuso Shows and Stars - Story". Retrieved February 23, 2017.
- Miralles, Nitz. "Bagong project ni Richard hanggang 8 weeks lang, mamadaliin bago mag-expire ang kontrata". Retrieved February 23, 2017.
- "Navy war ship ng bansa ipinagamit sa GMA". philstar.com. Retrieved 23 February 2017.
- Donato, Jerry. "Giving serye a new twist". Retrieved February 23, 2017.
- Cruz, Marinel R. "An ex on the set doesn't distract Michelle Madrigal". Retrieved February 23, 2017.
- "Richard Gutierrez, nagsimula nang mag-taping para sa 'Love and Lies'". Retrieved February 23, 2017.
- "Set ng 'Love and Lies,' handa na para sa taping ng bidang si Richard Guitierrez". Retrieved February 23, 2017.
- "Abante-Tonite Online - Showbiz". Retrieved February 23, 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on April 16, 2013. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- Tuazon, Nikko (April 11, 2013). "AGB Nielsen Mega Manila Household Ratings (April 8 to 10): Love & Lies and The Ryzza Mae Show debut strongly". Retrieved January 25, 2018.
- Tuazon, Nikko (June 14, 2013). "AGB Nielsen Mega Manila Household Ratings (June 7 to 9, 2013): Eat Bulaga records 12.8 percent lead over rival program last Saturday". Retrieved January 25, 2018.
- "Balita - Tagalog Newspaper Tabloid". Retrieved February 23, 2017.