Love & Respect
|Author||Dr. Emerson Eggerichs|
|Subject||Self-help, marriage, love, respect|
Love & Respect: The Love She Most Desires; The Respect He Desperately Needs was written in 2004 by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs. The book suggests a direct connection between the emotional needs of men and women and a verse of scripture found in the Bible, that when adhered to, can strengthen and transform relationships.
Ephesians 5:33 "Each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband."
Dr. Eggerichs founded the nonprofit organization Love and Respect Ministries  in 1999 and held Love and Respect Marriage Conferences throughout the U.S. along with his wife Sarah. By 2003 Dr. Eggerichs had become a requested speaker on the Christian radio broadcast Focus on the Family that at that time was hosted by psychologist James Dobson. The book was then produced with the assistance of Focus on the Family and went on to make several top 10 book lists and won several book awards including the 2007 Book of the Year for the Family Christian Stores. Other awards include the Gold Medallion Award in 2005 and the Retailers Choice Awards. Dr. Eggerichs wrote a second follow-up to Love & Respect in 2009 titled The Language of Love & Respect: Cracking the Communication Code with Your Mate  In 2010, Love and Respect for a Lifetime, a gift book for husbands and wives, was released.
The book is built upon the theory that the "primary emotional needs" for men and women, respectively are that men need respect and women need love, like they need air to breathe. Dr. Eggerichs uses simple examples to illustrate real life situations in relationships and then often connects those situations to the verse in Ephesians and other passages in the Bible. The book is organized into three main sections.
The Crazy Cycle first illustrates that "Without love, she reacts without respect and without respect, he reacts without love". Misunderstandings in communication is expressed using simple metaphors to illustrate that men often use blue sunglasses and women often use pink sunglasses during communication. Practical strategies are then discussed to stop the Crazy Cycle from spinning, including the use of scientific findings by John Gottman.
The Energizing Cycle next outlines strategies for improving a relationship by showing that "his love motivates her respect and her respect motivates his love", using two acronyms C-O-U-P-L-E (Closeness, Openness, Understanding, Peacemaking, Loyalty, and Esteem) and C-H-A-I-R-S (Conquest, Hierarchy, Authority, Insight, Relationship, and Sexuality).
The Rewarded Cycle lastly is demonstrated by example using Scripture that "His love blesses regardless of her respect and her respect blesses regardless of his love". Connecting obedience to Christ in the correlation to a greater outcome in the relationship is suggested.
(This list is most probably incomplete.)
|Language||Title||Year of Translation|
|Spanish||Amor y Respeto||2010|
|German||Liebe und Respekt||2011|
|Afrikaans||Liefde en respek|
|Italian||Amore e rispetto|
|Polish||Milosc i szacunek|
|Romanian||Dragoste şi respect|
|Russian||Любовь и уважение||2013|
- Conner, Jonathan (September 2008). "The Love a Wife Desires, the Respect a Husband Needs". Retrieved June 22, 2010.
- Greulich, Megan (Autumn 2007). "Guy "Secrets" Revealed?". Christians for Biblical Equality. Retrieved June 25, 2010.
- "Love and Respect in the Homeschool Marriage". Home School Legal Defense Association. November 26–30, 2007. Retrieved June 25, 2010.
- Heffernan, Carol (202). "Your spouse's greatest need". Focus on the Family (Canada) Association. Retrieved June 25, 2010.
- Palmer, Adam (Jan–Feb 2006). "Love + Respect=Marital Bliss". New Man Magazine. Retrieved June 25, 2010.
- Fairchild, Mary. "Top 10 Most Popular Christian Books". About.com. Retrieved June 25, 2010.
- "CBA Best-Seller Lists". Christian Booksellers Association. Retrieved June 25, 2010.
- Griffin, Pam (September 4, 2008). "Love and Respect Conference comes to Emerald Coast". The Destin Log. Retrieved June 25, 2010.
- "2005 Christian Book Awards Winners". Evangelical Christian Publishers Association. 2005. Retrieved June 25, 2010.
- "Christian Retailing Retailers Choice Awards". Retailers Choice Awards. 2005. Retrieved June 25, 2010.
- Hyatt, Michael (July 27, 2009). "Book Notes: Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs". Michael Hyatt. Retrieved June 25, 2010.
- Howe, Michele. "Review". FaithfulReader.com. Retrieved June 28, 2010.
- Gretchen (May 6, 2006). "The respect he desperately needs". Young Ladies Christian Fellowship. Retrieved June 25, 2010.
- "Love & Respect - Pink And Blue". YouTube. February 3, 2010. Retrieved June 25, 2010.
- Mueller, Jim (2007). "A Conversation with Emerson Eggerichs". Growthtrac Ministries. Retrieved June 25, 2010.
- Basham, Leslie; Nancy Leigh DeMoss. "The Energizing Cycle". Revive Our Hearts. Retrieved June 25, 2010.
- "Love & Respect—The Glue That Holds Relationships Together" (PDF). November 4, 2007. Retrieved June 25, 2010.