Love Aaj Kal (2020 film)
|Love Aaj Kal|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Imtiaz Ali|
|Produced by||Dinesh Vijan|
|Written by||Imtiaz Ali|
Sara Ali Khan
|Edited by||Aarti Bajaj|
|Distributed by||Pen Marudhar Entertainment|
|Box office||est. ₹52.6 crore|
Love Aaj Kal (transl. Love these days) is a 2020 Indian Hindi-language romantic drama film directed by Imtiaz Ali and starring Kartik Aaryan and Sara Ali Khan. Principal photography began in the first half of March 2019 and ended in July 2019. It was released in India on 14 February 2020 on Valentine's Day.
Ambitious millennial girl Zoe Chauhan and budding millennial boy Veer Srivastava meet at a bar. They leave together from the bar and decide to spend the night together at Veer's home but Veer stops Zoe from continuing their act. He tells her that the time is not right. Zoe leaves, infuriated. Veer keeps following Zoe, who finally confronts him and asks him not to follow her.
There is a flashback scene where Leena and Raghuvendra "Raghu" Singh have the same conversation back in the 1990s in Udaipur.
Back to present day, Veer drops her for an interview at the office of the Mehta Group and they slowly begin their relationship. The group's owner, Raj Mehta, also owns the place where Zoe hangs out very often. Raj, who is good friends with Zoe, tells her the story of his childhood sweetheart, Leena, thus implying that he is a grown up Raghu. He tells her that he used to behave with Leena just as Veer behaves with Zoe, and recites his own childhood memories with Leena to Zoe and tells her how he asked Leena for a dance together.
In the flashback, it is seen that Raghu and Leena used to meet each other secretly and how Raghu left everything for Leena and moved for her to Delhi, discotinuing his studies to be with Leena. Zoe walks in on Raj and his wife, assuming she is Leena, but realizes it's not the case. Raj reveals that he left Leena. Zoe is convinced by her mother that she can't possibly have both her love and career together. She goes to meet Veer's parents, but leaves crying. Veer relays to Raj what Zoe did, and Raj, convinced that he influenced Zoe towards behaving this way, responds by getting her the job.
Some days later, Zoe sees Veer with another girl. Heartbroken, she hangs out with multiple people but doesn't happen to like any of them. She goes to a bar with a guy and gets drunk but he refuses to drop her at her home. Veer picks her and drops at her house. He tells that he can't enter a relationship of compromises with Zoe and breaks up with her. The next day he informs her about a new job in the Himalayas and is leaving for 2 years, explaining that he has as much right to be focused on his career as does she, and bids her goodbye. Zoe gets a proposal from the Mehta family to marry Raj, but refuses. He, in turn, tells that he met Leena one last time, when he realized she was pregnant. He starts crying and Zoe comforts him. Raj tells her that she shouldn't make the same mistake he made. Zoe leaves for the Himalayas to reunite with Veer. She sees Veer sleeping outside. She goes and rests atop him. Veer asks whether she will take a leap with him, to which she agrees, and they reunite.
- Kartik Aaryan as Veer Srivastava / Raghuvendra "Raghu" Singh
- Sara Ali Khan as Zoe Chauhan
- Randeep Hooda as Raj Mehta / older Raghuvendra "Raghu" Singh
- Aarushi Sharma as Leena
- Varun Sharma as Karan Singh
On 17 January 2019, it was reported that Ali was considering his next venture with Khan and Aaryan, a romantic film. On 1 March 2019, it was confirmed that the pair has been teamed up in directorial venture of Ali and the filming is starting in Delhi.
The principal photography of the film began in the second week of March 2019, with Aaryan shared a picture of Khan and him from sets. Khan also shared the picture on her social media account. The first schedule of the film was wrapped on 25 March 2019. To inform about the conclusion of the schedule, Khan posted a video on her Instagram account to celebrate. The twenty-day second schedule of the film began on 10 April in Udaipur. Filming was completed on 1 July 2019, after the final sixty-six days of shooting in Himachal Pradesh.
The first look of the film was revealed on 20 March 2019, and the release date was announced as 14 February 2020, coinciding with Valentine's Day. On 16 January 2020, the movie poster was released.
|Love Aaj Kal|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||14 February 2020|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Sony Music India|
|2.||"Haan Main Galat"||Arijit Singh, Shashwat Singh||3:38|
|3.||"Mehrama"||Darshan Raval, Antara Mitra||4:09|
|4.||"Rahogi Meri"||Arijit Singh||4:13|
|6.||"Yeh Dooriyan"||Mohit Chauhan||4:02|
|7.||"Shayad" (Reprise)||Arijit Singh, Madhubanti Bagchi||4:06|
|9.||"Dhak Dhak"||Nikhita Gandhi, Akasa Singh||3:29|
|10.||"Haan Tum Ho"||Arijit Singh, Shilpa Rao||4:51|
|11.||"Mehrama" (Extended)||Darshan Raval, Antara Mitra||5:37|
Love Aaj Kal earned ₹12 crore nett at the domestic box office on its opening day. On the second day, the film collected ₹7 crore. On the third day, the film collected 7 crore, taking total opening weekend collection to ₹26 crore.
The film is scored 5.2/10 based on 2,527 reviews on IMDb. Ronak Kotecha of the Times of India rated the film 3.0/5, stating that "the flashback story is interrupted way too many times to accommodate the film’s non-linear narrative."
- "Love Aaj Kal (2020)". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved 12 February 2020.
- "Love Aaj Kal 20". Box Office India. Retrieved 25 February 2020.
- "Love Aaj Kal Box Office". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 14 March 2020.
- "Kartik Aaryan shares loved up picture with Sara Ali Khan and fans just can't keep calm!". The Times of India. 20 March 2019. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- "Sara Ali Khan and Kartik Aaryan Wrap Up Shoot for Imtiaz Ali's Next in Himachal Pradesh". CNN-News18. 1 July 2019. Retrieved 3 July 2019.
- "Sara Ali Khan, Kartik Aaryan share romantic first look pic, release date for Aaj Kal. See here". Hindustan Times. 21 March 2019. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- "Meet Kartik Aaryan as Veer and Raghu in Imtiaz Ali's Love Aaj Kal". Bollywood Hungama. 21 January 2020. Retrieved 28 January 2020.
- "Five years after Highway, Randeep Hooda to reunite with Imtiaz Ali for his next?". Times Now News 18. 20 February 2019. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- "Imtiaz Ali on working with Kartik Aaryan and Sara Ali Khan in his next". Times of India. 17 January 2019. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- "CONFIRMED! Kartik Aryan to romance Sara Ali Khan in Imtiaz Ali's Love Aaj Kal 2!". ABP Live. 1 March 2019. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- "Sara Ali Khan, Kartik Aaryan spotted riding a bike in Delhi for Love Aaj Kal 2. Watch video". Hindustan Times. 17 March 2019. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- "Kartik Aaryan asks Sara Ali Khan out, says 'Delhi mein party karte hain' as they wrap first leg of Imtiaz Ali film". Hindustan Times. 26 March 2019. Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- "Kartik Aaryan off to Udaipur for the second schedule of Imtiaz Ali's Love Aaj Kal 2". Film Beat. 10 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- "[PICS] Sara Ali Khan and Kartik Aaryan wrap shoot for Imtiaz Ali's next after filming for 66 days". Times Now News 18. 1 July 2019. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- Sara Ali Khan (20 March 2019). "Sara Ali Khan on Instagram". Instagram. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- "Love Aaj Kal first poster: Sara Ali Khan, Kartik Aaryan are Zoe and Veer caught in a 'whirlwind wonderland'". Hindustan Times. 16 January 2020. Retrieved 16 January 2020.
- "SARA, KARTIK LOOK LOST IN LOVE IN LOVE AAJ KAL POSTER". Mumbai Mirror. 16 January 2020. Retrieved 16 January 2020.
- "Love Aaj Kal first look poster out: Kartik Aaryan, Sara Ali Khan are in whirlwind wonderland". India Today. 16 January 2020. Retrieved 16 January 2020.
- "Love Aaj Kal - Official Trailer - Kartik, Sara, Randeep, Arushi - Imtiaz Ali - Dinesh Vijan - 14 Feb". YouTube. Maddock Films. 17 January 2020.
- "Love Aaj Kal - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Jio Saavn.
- Love Aaj Kal Movie Review: Emotionally charged saga of love Times of India, Ronak Kotecha, February 14, 2020