Love Beats Rhymes
|Love Beats Rhymes|
Theatrical release poster
|Written by||Nicole Jefferson-Asher|
|Music by||Richard Gibbs|
|Edited by||Bruce Cannon|
Love Beats Rhymes is an American musical drama film directed by RZA. The film stars Azealia Banks as a 25-year-old female rapper from Staten Island, New York who wants to pursue a music career. The film also stars Lorraine Toussaint, Jill Scott, Lucien Laviscount, MC Jin, Hana Mae Lee, and Common. The film was released on December 1, 2017 by CodeBlack Films and Lionsgate.
- Azealia Banks as Coco Ford
- Lorraine Toussaint as Nichelle, Coco's mother
- Common as Coltrane, Coco's mentor
- Lucien Laviscount as Derek
- Hana Mae Lee as Julie
- Jill Scott as Professor Dixon
- John David Washington as Mahlik
- MC Jin as Con Da Don
- Monna Sabouri as Muslim Girl
- Mary Christina Brown as Sapphire
- Jeremie Harris as Matt
- Caleb Eberhardt as Reasons
- Esperanza Spalding as Herself
On May 26, 2015, it was announced that Azealia Banks will be making her feature film debut in Coco directed by Rza and produced by Lionsgate. Lorraine Toussaint, Common, Jill Scott, Hana Mae Lee, and Lucien Laviscount were also cast. Filming began in New York City in late May 2015 in Wagner College, Staten Island and concluded in late June 2015. An initial March 11, 2016 release date was pushed back to a date still undetermined. When referring to the film in a June 2016 interview, RZA told Rolling Stone that "Coco is done. It's in Lionsgate's hands now. Movie companies have to figure out the best time to put their movies out. So I don't know if it'll be this year or next year."
On October 11, 2017, Lionsgate released a trailer for the film, now with the new title Love Beats Rhymes and a new December 1, 2017 release date in selected theaters and video on demand formats.
This section needs to be updated.(January 2018)
- "RZA directing Azealia Banks, Common, Jill Scott in new musical drama". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- Dave McNary. "'Coco': Azealia Banks Starring in RZA Movie - Variety". Variety. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- Mike Fleming Jr. "Rapper Azealia Banks To Star In Lionsgate Feature 'Coco' - Deadline". Deadline. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- Green, S. (4 January 2016). "Rapper Azealia Banks Stars In RZA-Directed Musical Drama "Coco"". The Source.
- "RZA, Interpol's Paul Banks Talk New Duo Banks and Steelz". Rolling Stone.
- "LOVE BEATS RHYMES - Find it in Select Theaters, on Digital, and On Demand 12/1!". YouTube. Retrieved 2017-10-12.
- Legaspi, Althea. "See Azealia Banks, Common in RZA's 'Love Beats Rhymes' Clip". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2017-10-12.
- "Love Beats Rhymes (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved November 30, 2017.
- Smarter, Aaron. "RZA's 'Love Beats Rhymes' Film Is Azealia Banks' Movie Debut". Uproxx.com. Retrieved 2017-10-12.