Love Is Like an Itching in My Heart
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"Love Is Like an Itching in My Heart"|
|Single by The Supremes|
|from the album The Supremes A' Go-Go|
|B-side||"He's All I Got"|
|Released||April 8, 1966|
|Format||Vinyl record (7" 45 RPM)|
|Studio||Hitsville U.S.A. (Studio A)|
|Genre||R&B, Pop, Soul|
|Producer(s)||Brian Holland |
|The Supremes singles chronology|
|The Supremes A' Go-Go track listing|
"Love Is Like an Itching in My Heart"
Written and produced by Motown's main production team of Holland–Dozier–Holland, the song was recorded in June 1965 and not released until April 1966. It was one of the few singles written by the team for the Supremes that didn't reach number one on the Billboard Hot 100 pop singles chart in the United States. Nevertheless, the song was a Top 10 hit, peaking at number nine for one week in May 1966. Billboard named the song #90 on their list of 100 Greatest Girl Group Songs of All Time.
One of the group's most powerful singles, this uptempo and brassy dance single was somewhat of a departure from the group's much lighter, pop-oriented sound, with a production set for an uptempo soul sound similar to that of material by fellow Motown groups Martha and the Vandellas and the Four Tops. The lyrics tell of how the narrator has been "bitten by the love bug" and no matter what she does, she can't "scratch it" (the itch created by the bite of the love bug). Lead singer Diana Ross' bandmates Florence Ballard and Mary Wilson accompany Ross, as she sings about her lover's grasp on her heart. The girl group performed the hit live on CBS variety program The Ed Sullivan Show on Sunday, May 1, 1966.
- Lead vocals by Diana Ross
- Background vocals by Florence Ballard and Mary Wilson
- Instrumentation by The Funk Brothers
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||9|
|U.S. Billboard R&B Singles Chart||7|
|U.S. Cash Box Pop Singles Chart||9|
- In 1975, Ralph Carter released his version of the song on his first album When You're Young and In Love.
- In 1989, The Good Girls from their All For You Love album.
- American deathrock band Christian Death covered the song on their 1989 album All the Love, with slightly modified lyrics and the title "Love Is Like a (B)Itchin' in My Heart".
- In 2011, Indie Rock band the Inevitable Backlash released a punk-inspired cover version with an accompanying music video.
- In their Summer 2009 US tour, Steely Dan covered this song during their band introductions section.
- There's an in concert version on the Phil Seymour album In Concert released in 2014
- "Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. Nielsen Company. 78 (28): 24. 1966. Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- "100 Greatest Girl Group Songs of All Time: Critics' Picks". Billboard. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- "James Brown, The Supremes, Nancy Ames, London Lee". The Ed Sullivan Show. Season 19. Episode 33. New York City. 1 May 1966. CBS. WCBS.
- "New Video : The Inevitable Backlash : Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart (Supremes cover)". MyOldKentuckyBlog.com. 2010-04-16. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
|This 1960s R&B/soul music song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 1960s pop song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|